ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Surfulater at BdJ today ($39.50)

(1/3) > >>

tranglos:
Seems to be a long-time favorite among DU regulars.

Surfulater PC Software with a 50% off Discount Coupon Code
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/surfulater/

You may want to read the comments section though. Upcoming release of Surfulater is going into the cloud.

cyberdiva:
Seems to be a long-time favorite among DU regulars.-tranglos (November 23, 2012, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, including me.

You may want to read the comments section though. Upcoming release of Surfulater is going into the cloud.

--- End quote ---
Yes, that makes me a little nervous, but Neville (the developer) has said that there would also be a locally installed option whose contents would be on the user's computer, so that it can be used even without being connected to the Internet.  So I'm cautiously optimistic that one of my favorite programs will continue as a favorite.

mwb1100:
I don't think there's anything to worry about.  Neville has heard the feedback that people don't want to be forced to store data on the cloud. From some comments he's made, it seems as though he's planning to provide the best of both worlds - keep your data local if that's what you want, but also provide the *option* of storing your data in the cloud so it's accessible from anywhere you are.

I have faith that he'll do the right thing.  Synchronization is the one thing I *really* miss in Surfulater, and I'm hoping that the cloud-based storage will solve that problem for me.  As long as the cloud storage is secure and I can move the data off the cloud if I decide that's necessary then I'll be happy.

If Neville can make it so the cloud storage is under my control (on my own web server or Amazon S3 or something), I'll be thrilled.

IainB:
If Neville can make it so the cloud storage is under my control
-mwb1100 (November 23, 2012, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't done this with Surfulater, but I presume you would be able to put it "in the Cloud" already like most other databases - by using a CloudDrive - e.g., (say) Google Drive, Box.net, SkyDrive, or similar.
I'm not sure, but I presume that if you put into the local (PC-based) Google Drive folder a reparse point (Junction folder) that links to the surfulater database folder on the PC, then presumably up the the pipe its contents would go, and after every change also. Then you could access that folder from the CloudDrive via other PCs.
I shall try it out and see when I have some time later today.

IainB:
After my comment above, I made a floow-up comment about it, here: Re: Grab Free Desktop Syncing Plus 25GB Storage Space on Box (Lifehacker 2012-08-15)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version