ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

<< < (8/23) > >>

Renegade:
(To Renny minus quotes because this is from my phone)
I get the edgy 'thang about your post but it's a profound economic puzzle. Besides the value if time, remember to include the risk of mistake damage. To me if I can't just wipe it down with Lysol wipes and paperclips, I lose a lot of confidence taking the whole thing apart etc.

Weren't we saying you have to wait *days* before you can use it again? So ... what ... I now need a backup keyboard for a week while I wait for the $30 one, only to find I messed it up anyway and now I need a new $30 one?

Bleh. *That's* the full cost matrix of these cute little projects ... for a $30 keyboard. (I'll leave the equations to my betters. Extra credit variables : pets, children (file under pets! Hehe) )
-TaoPhoenix (November 24, 2012, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Downtime is a no-no, so yeah, good point. I have several keyboards, so there's always an extra around somewhere.

not at all wanting to be smug (I swear) - I always have a backup keyboard - either an old one or a cheap (10 euro) new one.
-tomos (November 24, 2012, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

An extra keyboard and mouse are always a good thing to have.

Renegade:
Well, coincidentally, my 'P' key started to stick (probably crumbs or chocolate or something), and so...

The keyboard:

I:

1) Unscrewed the 15 screws in the back,
2) Removed the front keyboard (the electronics are on the bottom),
3) Washed the keyboard in the sink thoroughly,
4) Shook it dry - violently - then used a hair dryer to get the last few drops,
5) Reassembled the keyboard.

Lo and behold, I never had to wet any of the electronics, and it's working fine as I'm typing on it now. :D

It didn't take long at all. Much shorter than a trip to the store.

Incidentally, I resized & cropped the photos with this. :) Super-fast! ;)

TaoPhoenix:
Heh that takes more Mojo than I have to spare :P

Shades:
For 8 years I have a very Basic Gateway multimedia keyboard, which I clean every 6 months. Taking it apart and clean the top half with lots of water and a toothbrush. Almost looks like a new one (some minor discolorozation from sunlight) after that. And better yet, it still types like a champ!

I would say my keyboard is almost as solid as those IBM keyboards. Techies know which type/model I mean :)

cranioscopical:
Well, coincidentally, my 'P' key started to stick (probably crumbs or chocolate or something), and so...Washed the keyboard in the sink thoroughly-Renegade (November 24, 2012, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good job you rinsed it or you'd have a soap 'p' keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version