ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

<< < (5/23) > >>

superboyac:
I was just thinking...the one thing I do that keeps my keyboard significantly cleaner than it used to be is Nuance's Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Since I've started using it regularly the amount of time my fingers are resting on keys has easily been cut in half.
-40hz (November 23, 2012, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bam!  I was about to transition to DNS also to experiment with new ways to make my computing life more productive.  I'll need to hear your take on it all, but now I'm really going to try it.

Renegade:
I guess I'm just too lazy for all this stuff. I'll just buy a new keyboard every six years...
Given my lack of mechanical intuition for me the loss of time plus frustration and risk of mistakes outweighs 30 bucks every half decade.
-TaoPhoenix (November 23, 2012, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Obviously the The Phoenix values his time at more than $2/hr. like the rest of us apparently do. 8)
-40hz (November 23, 2012, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... This is one of the things that is fundamentally wrong with how we do things. Instead of fixing things or taking care of them, we just go out and buy a new one. I'm completely guilty of this myself. With the exact same logic... "What's my time worth?" Which usually wins out...

The "consumer economy" really is a very perverse thing. We waste and waste, then get all snotty and self-righteous about how we need to save the planet, recycle, etc. etc.

I like the idea of washing a keyboard if for no other reason than it saves me a trip to the store (which goes back to "what's my time worth"). I also like the idea that it reduces waste. That "reduce" there being the first R in "reduce, reuse, recycle".

Today is a beautiful, warm day, so if I have time, I think I'll dig out an old, dirty keyboard and give this washing thing a try. :)

Off-topic about reducing - not a rant ;) I recently found a pretty darn cool way to "reduce" by replacing chemical drain cleaners with baking soda and vinegar. I've got a post about it here:

http://cynic.me/2012/11/23/cheap-organic-drain-cleaner/

It's a neat way to 'reduce' because it's really a substitution where you swap out something that is innately bad for common, edible, non-toxic things that you already have in your house.

MilesAhead:
I prefer to take mine to the local stream where the village women do their laundry. I dip it in the current a few times, then pound it on a rock to extract the excess water.  :)

barney:
I prefer to take mine to the local stream where the village women do their laundry. I dip it in the current a few times, then pound it on a rock to extract the excess water.  :)

-MilesAhead (November 23, 2012, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd be a bit careful with that ... might be cow urine in the water.  Urine can be corrosive.

MilesAhead:

-MilesAhead (November 23, 2012, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd be a bit careful with that ... might be cow urine in the water.  Urine can be corrosive.
-barney (November 23, 2012, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I only use cow urine on Gateway PCs.  Moo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version