ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

<< < (4/23) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I guess I'm just too lazy for all this stuff. I'll just buy a new keyboard every six years...
Given my lack of mechanical intuition for me the loss of time plus frustration and risk of mistakes outweighs 30 bucks every half decade.

IainB:
Washing always works just fine. Just don't try and speed up the drying process using too much heat, like I did...
A few years ago, someone accidentally spilled a bit of red wine on my laptop keyboard. Not enough to flood the insides, but enough to stop the keyboard working.
So I took off the keyboard, washed it with lots of warm water, and because I was in a hurry I popped it into the oven which was still warm from my missus having baked a cake.
Came back a bit later and the keyboard plastic had all shrunk.    :-[

40hz:
I guess I'm just too lazy for all this stuff. I'll just buy a new keyboard every six years...
Given my lack of mechanical intuition for me the loss of time plus frustration and risk of mistakes outweighs 30 bucks every half decade.
-TaoPhoenix (November 23, 2012, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like it! ;D

Obviously the The Phoenix values his time at more than $2/hr. like the rest of us apparently do. 8)

(That, or he buys much cheaper keyboards than some of us.) ;)

40hz:
I was just thinking...the one thing I do that keeps my keyboard significantly cleaner than it used to be is Nuance's Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Since I've started using it regularly the amount of time my fingers are resting on keys has easily been cut in half.

4wd:
I've been using the dishwasher for a decade+.-barney (November 23, 2012, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've used a dishwasher to clean the odd circuit board and motherboard - you just need to recognise whether there's any components that will retain water in any cavity and either remove them or don't use a dishwasher.

Use a mild detergent and don't let it do the drying cycle - take them out and air dry, (eg. car hoods :) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version