ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why did it never occur to me.. You can wash a keyboard in water.

<< < (11/23) > >>

Tinman57:
Baking soda is good for loosening soap buildup and many forms of grease and oil. Warm water and baking soda works especially well for cleaning hair brushes and combs. Alkalies generally have it in for soaps. And are far better than most "safe to use" acids at removing it.

The only risk in using it in a drain is if there's a huge soap scum or crud buildup on the walls of a pipe or sink trap. Sometimes baking soda will loosen it enough that it all comes off the pipe in one big clump and clogs the up works. Enough hot water and additional baking soda will loosen it eventually. But that can take a few days. And if there's a big wad of hair (freed from the soap scum) making up part of the blockage, all the baking soda in the world won't budge it.

I skip the vinegar and just use a half cup of baking soda and a quart or so of very hot water in my drains from time to time. Dump it in, let it sit for about ten minutes, and then flush it with clean water from the hot water tap for about a minute or two. It seems to help. But it's more a preventative maintenance thing than a real drain cleaner AFAIC.

YMMV. 8)
-40hz (November 26, 2012, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, what you said.  Besides, the baking soda only neutralizes the vinegar, which is why you get all the fizzing...

Tinman57:
About using vinegar and baking soda for a drain cleaner.  That old formula is pretty much an old wives tale.  The only thing those two together do is make a bunch of fizz.  It don't create any kind of acid to eat away the crap found in drains.-Tinman57 (November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know vinegarw is 5% acidity, right?  (at least from the store, in the USA)
-Deozaan (November 26, 2012, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
  There are a lot of things with more acidity than that, like some soaps.  You can take a drink of vinegar without any side effects other than perhaps a little indigestion.  Some people take a shot of vinegar three times a day to help them lose weight.

barney:
There are a lot of things with more acidity than that, like some soaps.  You can take a drink of vinegar without any side effects other than perhaps a little indigestion.  Some people take a shot of vinegar three times a day to help them lose weight.
-Tinman57 (November 27, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vinegar was, supposedly, the marching drink of the Roman legions.  'Course, theirs was over-aged - spoiled? - wine, not exactly the same thing as, say, the distilled vinegar we buy in local stores.

MilesAhead:
Yep, what you said.  Besides, the baking soda only neutralizes the vinegar, which is why you get all the fizzing...
--- End quote ---
Long time since chemistry class. But I seem to remember a solution is produced with carbonic acid.  The fizz in Coca Cola.  And we all know coke cleans rust, sludge, just about anything. If your vinegar bottle is try pop open a can of Coke Classic and give it a try.  Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)

TaoPhoenix:
Your keyboard will be clean, but very sticky. :)
-MilesAhead (November 28, 2012, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Uh... I think Sticky is the opposite of clean...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version