ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Keyboard shortcut of the day

<< < (8/12) > >>

kwacky1:
Tab at a command prompt to scroll through the items in the current directory.
-Stoic Joker (December 06, 2012, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget with tab you can also use wildcards, eg. s* <tab> to scroll through items starting with s.

F7 to bring up your command history.

ewemoa:
Don't forget with tab you can also use wildcards, eg. s* <tab> to scroll through items starting with s.

F7 to bring up your command history.
-kwacky1 (December 08, 2012, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow -- those are nice too!  Thanks  :up:

Edvard:
On Linux, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would kill X and drop you to terminal mode.  Real handy when it hung or something graphical was eating memory and the mouse pointer went AWOL.
Ubuntu did away with that when they first rolled out "bulletproof X" so it just restarted X.  Not the same function, but still handy especially if you were using a session manager, because it forced a re-login.  
Now it does nothing, even in Debian, and I haven't been inspired enough to go digging for reasons.  :(

ewemoa:
On Linux, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would kill X and drop you to terminal mode.  Real handy when it hung or something graphical was eating memory and the mouse pointer went AWOL.
-Edvard (December 08, 2012, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.

Ubuntu did away with that when they first rolled out "bulletproof X" so it just restarted X.  Not the same function, but still handy especially if you were using a session manager, because it forced a re-login.  
Now it does nothing, even in Debian, and I haven't been inspired enough to go digging for reasons.  :(

--- End quote ---

Had missed these changes...

I have found the following helpful with a non-responsive GNU/Linux (or even non-GNU?) system:

Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys.
While holding those down, type the following keys in order, several seconds apart: REISUB
Computer should reboot.

--- End quote ---

Text from Wikipedia Magic SysRq key article.

Giampy:
Windows+D or Windows+M turns all the open windows into icons in the taskbar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version