ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Keyboard shortcut of the day

<< < (3/12) > >>

ewemoa:
I'm always amazed that so few people know these:

- Ctrl-Shift-Esc to launch Task Manager
-yksyks (November 26, 2012, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely handy.

- Win-Break to open System Properties

--- End quote ---

Didn't know this one.

and (not really a keyboard shortcut, though)
- double-click on titlebar to maximize/restore an app

--- End quote ---

I didn't use this one much until recently when I discovered an app that has a lot of problems (on one machine at least) with drawing (text gets garbled / shifted / etc.).  As a quick fix, I double-click on the title bar and repeat.  Often this leads to a fixed view of things.

ewemoa:
The 'Apps' key (between right Alt and Ctrl) gives you the context menu, but it wont toggle the *§$%* thing. So you have to use your mouse to click elsewhere if you raise the menu by mistake;
-tomos (November 26, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use the Esc key :)

Shift+F10 toggles the context menu :)

--- End quote ---

Nice!

justice:
Great contributions everyone :)

tomos:
The 'Apps' key (between right Alt and Ctrl) gives you the context menu, but it wont toggle the *§$%* thing. So you have to use your mouse to click elsewhere if you raise the menu by mistake;
-tomos (November 26, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use the Esc key :)-ewemoa (November 26, 2012, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
forgot about that option when posting :-[
FWIW, the history:
I'm left-handed and am usually drawing with the mouse and trying to hit a Ctrl+Otherkey shortcut and I catch the corner of the apps key - then, using the keyboard, I would have to leave the mouse to hit escape, or hit it with my right hand, both of which are a pain, especially if it keeps happening.
For a long time I had the apps key 'converted' to the Control key but I missed it in other software - actually that was how I came across dc, trying to find out how to do that.

app103:
- Win-Break to open System Properties
-yksyks (November 26, 2012, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

For a long time, I didn't know there was any other way to get to that.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version