topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TEncoder 3.1  (Read 2463 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TEncoder 3.1
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:53 PM »
I've been using TEncoder free video encoder now and then for some time.

Entry on VideoHelp

SourceForge Home Page

I just upgraded to 3.0 and it seems to be improving nicely. The main reason I'm posting is 3.0 has a CPU Meter that's very handy. It displays percentage of CPU used in a fluctuating progress control. But the nice thing is now I don't have to run Core Temp and add up the percentages from the cores. This shows a simple percentage of the total CPU. It seems the code has been improved too. I use FFMPeg.  I can't speak to how well it works with MenCoder as the encoder.  Lately I have been doing remuxing to another container processing only the audio.  The video set to Direct Stream Copy.  The throughput is very fast and plays well on my WD set top box.

It still has a few quirks. I'm waiting to see what the author says as to why WD preset (mkv) has output container of MP4. I have to make manual tweaks.  But the processing seems to be done all inline.  There's no stages of splitting off the audio, encoding, remuxing as with some other encoders.  Just writes the output file as the progress bar moves along.  Very fast. I guess that's the way FFMPeg works. If you prefer MenCoder I'm not sure exactly what happens. :)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:22 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TEncoder 3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Just to update. I got a reply from the author. The codec selection at the top of the options is what determines the container, rather than the profile. The change to set the output container to be in line with the profile type is on the to do list. There may be a guide, but no in depth help docs for the Gui as I guess it's designed to be self-evident. But at least it clears it up for me that it's not a bug or me hitting the wrong button. "Working as designed" as we used to say. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TEncoder 3.1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23 PM »
TEncoder 3.1 The new release has promised updates.  See the change log at sites listed in first post.