ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (15/23) > >>

tomos:
@dr_andus
I cross posted that to the Surface RT thread
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=33023.msg308820#msg308820

I'm not feeling very positive myself - been thinking most of the problems with 8 are relatively minor (in spite of their big effect) yet they didnt fix them.
Didnt bother fixing them? (Why?)
Or things were maybe too hectic for them to get their act together.

SP1 will be a clue I guess - hopefully something positive.

wraith808:
Take for example the advertising that focuses on the fact that Surface comes with a kickstand.
-dr_andus (December 01, 2012, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually (and I'd have to find the article) some experts focus on that very fact as a positive.  Especially in the way that they emphasize how it snaps into place, and the keyboard snaps on the bottom.  A lot of the reticence on entry into tablets has to do with keyboards and the usefulness of them.  This concentrates on that very con.

mwb1100:
Then take the ever-increasing options for the consumer. Do I buy Win8 or WinRT, Metro, or Win8 Pro? Do I need a keyboard for an extra $100 or not? Do I buy an MS manufactured device or one from another manufacturer? Which chipset is better, ARM or Intel? Can I run my Win7 software on the Surface or not? And why should I pay $200-300 more for this than the alternatives (incl. laptops)?
-dr_andus (December 01, 2012, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

The interesting thing is that Apple manages this same problem - the iPad is a different platform and set of applications than the Mac, but no one cares or feels confused by that.  I'm not sure why Microsoft can't see that they needed (and still need) to separate the tablet market and the desktop Windows market into distinct areas.  They should still have them work together well - everybody wants that - but they shouldn't try to market the idea that it's the same platform.

Needing to explain the difference between WinRT and Windows or the Surface vs. the Surface Pro is a bad spot to be in.

dr_andus:
The interesting thing is that Apple manages this same problem - the iPad is a different platform and set of applications than the Mac, but no one cares or feels confused by that.

Needing to explain the difference between WinRT and Windows or the Surface vs. the Surface Pro is a bad spot to be in.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that seems to be the crux of the matter. With the iPad the OS withdraws into the background and the customer doesn't need to know there is even such a thing. You're buying a consumer device, not an OS. But with Win8 tablets the OS comes to the forefront and becomes an issue. The consumer needs some serious advice in order not to buy the wrong thing. That's a problem for a mass market.

Quote from: dr_andus on Today at 02:35:19 PM
Take for example the advertising that focuses on the fact that Surface comes with a kickstand.
--- End quote ---

Actually (and I'd have to find the article) some experts focus on that very fact as a positive.
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear their strategy still got a leg to stand on ;)

x16wda:

Glad to hear their strategy still got a leg to stand on ;)
-dr_andus (December 01, 2012, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version