ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (14/23) > >>

Carol Haynes:
But I personally don't see businesses looking any less askance at Apple than they do at Microsoft.
-40hz (November 25, 2012, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I maybe wrong but I haven't seen evidence yet that Apple are working towards a desktop free future on their laptops and desktop computers. If they have any sense they will see MS's implied intentions and woo the likes of Adobe to become exclusively Apple. It would have a huge effect on creative industries - already many use Apple exclusively but it could win over a whole area of business that MS currently shares.

Given that none of the regulators have yet challenged Apple on monopolist behaviour they would be in a good position (at least in their eyes) to rapidly expand their business base.

Most of the people I deal with (private individuals and small local businesses) are looking at Windows 8 and where it is all going with great suspicion. They don't see Apple as the predatory company that it is - at least not yet - but rather see it is a way to get away from MS.

Linus unfortunately seems to be a non-starter for many people and small businesses as it just doesn't have the software support required.

Ehtyar:
I haven't read the thread, but I will be waiting for 9 in the hopes that Microsoft come to their senses. If not, I'll either continue to wait depending on how Windows 7 support is still going or finally try to make the move to Linux as my primary desktop OS, though that would make using Windows at work painful.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
I maybe wrong but I haven't seen evidence yet that Apple are working towards a desktop free future on their laptops and desktop computers. If they have any sense they will see MS's implied intentions and woo the likes of Adobe to become exclusively Apple. It would have a huge effect on creative industries - already many use Apple exclusively but it could win over a whole area of business that MS currently shares.
-Carol Haynes (November 25, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you're wrong although I am seeing a big drop off in Apple pushing their laptops at least. I think the iPad will ultimately be the MacBook killer in a few more years. And if you go to their website at www.apple.com, you don't even see the Mini or the MacPros pictured on the homepage any more. Which I think is an indication of where Apple's interests and emphasis currently lie.

But yes, if Apple played its cards right, they do have an opportunity to grab larger segments of the business wrold. The Mini is a natural for the corporate desktop. Small, low power, quiet, inexpensive, and it fits into almost any decor...you can get a somewhat expensive extended care contract for it - and it's fully networkable. As an office productivity platform it would work quite nicely for most businesses. You see a lot o them in hospitals around where I am so they're likely making an effort for the medical market.

Either way, this is going to be an interesting year coming up.

Arizona Hot:
It seems that Microsoft is doing a flanking attack on Apple(goal: Apple pie?) and the "creative" and "out of the box" people are complaining. They expect Microsoft to say "Let them eat cake (Linux)!" next. "Lack of discoverability" seems to be a "lack of documentation" problem. See Tomos' Win8 tips thread. The screenshot below is from Wordnik about discoverability. I hope people don't think this comment belongs in the 'Silly Humor' thread.

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

dr_andus:
I hope MS will be still around to launch Win9 because at the moment things are not looking good. Some of their strategies seem decidedly amateurish. Take for example the advertising that focuses on the fact that Surface comes with a kickstand. Seriously? That's the most important thing about it?? And who came up with that amazing name, "Surface"?

Then take the ever-increasing options for the consumer. Do I buy Win8 or WinRT, Metro, or Win8 Pro? Do I need a keyboard for an extra $100 or not? Do I buy an MS manufactured device or one from another manufacturer? Which chipset is better, ARM or Intel? Can I run my Win7 software on the Surface or not? And why should I pay $200-300 more for this than the alternatives (incl. laptops)?

Confused customers don't buy. It's just so much simpler to go for the latest iPad and not have to deal with any of this nonsense.

Take e.g. this:
The 64GB Windows 8 Pro running Intel will be priced $899 and excludes the touch cover, which retails for around $100.

Compare that to the 64GB iPad from Apple, which is priced at $699. The Android-powered 64GB Samsung Galaxy Tab, meanwhile, comes in at around $889, no keypad required.

The problem for Microsoft here is that the keypad is essential on the Windows 8 Pro edition, because – as Microsoft points out in the supporting blog – Windows 8 Pro will run your existing Windows 7 apps, and those apps won’t be built for touch.
--- End quote ---

This is not MS-bashing on my part. I genuinely want them to succeed because I've invested into this relationship and I love my software on Win7. But this is increasingly looking desperate. Ballmer has looked like a disaster for quite some time. There must be something seriously wrong with their internal processes if they are not able to bring in more talented managers than the current ones who are confusing customers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version