ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (11/23) > >>

40hz:
my company's IT people are calling it 'job security' for the next two years.
-Gwen7 (November 23, 2012, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really think it's ever going to be the bonanza some are expecting it to be. But I'm sure it will keep those of us "in the biz" busier than usual for a little while once (or if) it really takes off.

Simple truth is, none of us really have all that much to say about it when it comes to business. In the corporate world, you ultimately use whatever your employer gives and tells you to use. Touchscreens too if it comes to that.

And people like me will end up supporting whatever that is if we intend to remain in this business.

So it goes. ;)

tomos:
The two customers I was working with have used computers for a long time (but are 'normal' every day users and over the age of 18) and they are totally befuddled by all the flipping about on their brand new laptop, especially as it seems to happen when they least expect it.
-Carol Haynes (November 23, 2012, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

By default, media files opened from the desktop - they open in the tiles world. I changed that straight away for images. For music I've just been using Trout (as in 7) no idea what the default handler is. I'm so used to never using the default (e.g. I've always avoided Windows media player, rarely if ever use explorer,) that I wouldnt know if it's better or worse that way.

True then, other stuff from the tiles open in the desktop.

It is helpful to remember that either side is one winkey away. Which is not an excuse for the confusion caused - there is something very schizophrenic about the completely different styles I find too.

dr_andus:
I don't really think it's ever going to be the bonanza some are expecting it to be.
-40hz (November 23, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought the bonanza was going to come from businesses upgrading to Win7: "Microsoft aims to herd 70% of enterprise onto Windows 7 by mid-2013"

Dormouse:
We certainly won't be buying W8.

When W7 came out, I bought a full set of retail version for us all and that should be enough for a long time. When W9 comes out, I'll think about whatever is on offer, but I'm certainly not waiting for it. I'm quite happy with Linux as an alternative. I've no interest in a tablet OS unless I'm using a tablet, and MS would have to do far better than I expect to be able to persuade me to go in their direction for a tablet.

(We never bought ME either and only got stuck with one copy of Vista when we had to get a new laptop; over the last five years I've made sure that we are all quite comfortable with using Linux and we've all now had periods when we have been Linux only.)

40hz:
I don't really think it's ever going to be the bonanza some are expecting it to be.
-40hz (November 23, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought the bonanza was going to come from businesses upgrading to Win7: "Microsoft aims to herd 70% of enterprise onto Windows 7 by mid-2013"
-dr_andus (November 23, 2012, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

What can I say? It's good to have a dream. Let Ballmer have his. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version