ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (10/23) > >>

tomos:
I read today that product key of pre-installed OEM Windows 8 is embedded in the BIOS.-erikts (November 23, 2012, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

:-\ that's a good reason to stick with windows 7

Stoic Joker:
I'll keep it to "First they came for the [...], and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [...]. - and I'm sorry, but no, I don't think that's fatalist thinking. Looking at what Apple is doing and speculating(!) that Microsoft wants to do the same, I do think that's the way we're heading... unless enough people protest.-f0dder (November 22, 2012, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's fine. But much like the end of the Myan calendar, we won't know what will actually happen until after it actually happens ... Regardless of how convincingly prophetic ones diatribes may be.

The thing that I'm feed up with, is the simple fact that it seems near impossible to have a discussion about the OS, as specifically and only an O. S. Without it almost instantly denigrating into a discussion about its role as a sociopolitical pawn in a bid for global domination.

There's a time and place for everything...Ya know.

wraith808:
I'll keep it to "First they came for the [...], and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [...]. - and I'm sorry, but no, I don't think that's fatalist thinking. Looking at what Apple is doing and speculating(!) that Microsoft wants to do the same, I do think that's the way we're heading... unless enough people protest.-f0dder (November 22, 2012, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's fine. But much like the end of the Myan calendar, we won't know what will actually happen until after it actually happens ... Regardless of how convincingly prophetic ones diatribes may be.

The thing that I'm feed up with, is the simple fact that it seems near impossible to have a discussion about the OS, as specifically and only an O. S. Without it almost instantly denigrating into a discussion about its role as a sociopolitical pawn in a bid for global domination.

There's a time and place for everything...Ya know.
-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2012, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

+100  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Had my first experience with Windows 8 today where I needed to use a boot CD to try to fix an external hard disk problem.

At least Fujitsu have left the option to use a normal BIOS boot method (disabled by default) otherwise I wouldn't have been able to boot from a WinPE tools disk. As installed by default you cannot start an OEM Windows 8 machine from anything other than the hard disk because all the options are locked out by Secure Boot!

Not sure what will happen when a boot sector virus hits a machine?

Another oddity I hadn't noticed before is that irrespective of where you are when you plug in a camera card it leaps to a full screen tool to import your photos - oddly the full screen (presumably not-Metro) tool then offers to show you the pictures in the folder and leaps into desktop mode. It all felt seriously unnerving.

The two customers I was working with have used computers for a long time (but are 'normal' every day users and over the age of 18) and they are totally befuddled by all the flipping about on their brand new laptop, especially as it seems to happen when they least expect it.

Gwen7:
people who make their living supporting microsoft environments seem to be very much for it now that it's a done deal. as are those people who like anything as long as it's new. my company's IT people are calling it 'job security' for the next two years. the rest of us where i am still want to be convinced. and we still don't want to have to use a touchscreen to get the full benefit. ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version