ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (9/23) > >>

barney:
I'm not sure we'll like win9.
-f0dder (November 22, 2012, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or if it will happen  :P?

Guess it will.  After all they survived ME and Vista.  But how long can their luck hold  :-\?!?

myarmor:
I'm hoping for something reasonable to eventually replace Windows 7. I don't use a tablet, *pad, touchscreen or
whatever you call it today, so I sure don't need an os built more or less exclusively for that target.
Exclusive as in the differences between W7 and W8. Most of what's new seems to be in the
"built for tablet's, *pads, touchscreens etc" part which apparently leaves much to be desired if you don't
have a touchscreen of some sort.

Remove that "modern ui", "metro" or whatever it's called and you basically have windows 7 excluding the
start menu/panel. Or so it seems. Btw, to me "Modern UI" implies the other one is "legacy".

Btw, where do you even get proper versions of it btw (i.e not OEM or upgrade)?
All I've seen is alot of campaigns for upgrade versions which requires an earlier version of windows to be installed.
In my experience there is nothing which creates more problems, etc than upgrading windows instead of a new install.

tomos:
^ true I can only see OEM copies & upgrades on amazon.de

I always buy OEM versions of windows myself.

erikts:
I read today that product key of pre-installed OEM Windows 8 is embedded in the BIOS.

So far so good. There is a slight problem though in regards to installing a different version of the operating system on those devices. Say you have bought a laptop running Windows 8, and have an OEM copy of Windows 8 Pro lying around that you want to install on that laptop.

The installer will automatically use the BIOS key during installation giving you no option to enter the retail copy product key during installation. You do end up with an activated copy of the original version of Windows and not the one that you have purchased separately.
--- End quote ---

app103:
Yes, I am waiting for Win9...to decide if I want to continue being a Windows user. If Win9 inches closer to this nightmarish vision, I will probably go Linux and run XP in a VM for the rest of my life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version