ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (6/23) > >>

rgdot:
Not sure about locked infrastructure coming to the desktop but on the whole topic of Windows versions...the problem here is new versions too soon and then adding relatively minor stuff for it to be worthy of a new version. I would wait for Windows 9 mainly (only?) because 6 years - between 7 and 9 - will provide me with more of a case to upgrade. Not really because Metro sucks or not.

Curt:
By now I have read all the posts in this thread, and I must say, you people have made me feel that Windows 7 will be my last Windows; I really like all my small-company-written programs - but it seems they will die out! No, it can't be so. it mustn't.

Right now I would prefer to stick to Win 7, but on a new machine.

Carol Haynes:
It isn't me that described Windows 8 desktop as 'legacy' it was MS! The fact that there is only minimal development on the desktop from Windows 7 says a lot about their intentions for the trad desktop.
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2012, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that some people are calling the classic desktop 'legacy' and I've seen it bandied about... but can you show me somewhere that MS has said it's legacy?  I think that non-Metro says a lot about their intentions towards tablets, but not necessarily towards desktops.  I think if they're guilty of anything, it's feeling things out and not setting their path out there because they don't know what it is.  And I think that's worst case.
-wraith808 (November 21, 2012, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry there is so much noise on Google with the use of 'legacy desktop' that I can't find the original article I read when the original consumer preview was released. I remember it was telling at the time that MS used the phrase, since then it has caught on.

Actually one indication of MS's original intentions was that the new version of the free Visual Studio Express was originally intended for developing not-Metro apps only (with no desktop app support) - they have back tracked on that sharply, when the public outcry built up, but I think it says a lot about what they were thinking!

superboyac:
By now I have read all the posts in this thread, and I must say, you people have made me feel that Windows 7 will be my last Windows; I really like all my small-company-written programs - but it seems they will die out! No, it can't be so. it mustn't.

Right now I would prefer to stick to Win 7, but on a new machine.
-Curt (November 21, 2012, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm with you, sort of. I'm too clueless where this is all leading to be sure.  Maybe an older wiseman (40!) can clue us in on what the future holds for this.  Here's how I feel: if Windows becomes unfriendly to small developers like mouser and all these other wonderful programmers that make the tools that we use on an almost multi-daily basis, and if MS official ecosystem doesn't offer those kinds of things, then either I stop being a computer hobbyist or turn to Linux and focus my efforts there.  Now, the former is very possible as I start focusing on the things i really want to accomplish, which is independent of computing platforms and software...but uses all those tools.  I don't think I'll be spending 15 years like before eagerly trying every OS, software, freeware, programming language I can get my hands one...I've done that and i've gained a very powerful set of skills that will allow me to get a lot of shit done with fewer resources than many people can imagine.

I don't care anymore is what I'm saying.  I'm going to use the thing that helps me accomplish my own ideas, not vice versa.  I find this the only healthy way to free myself of all of this nonsense.  If a big company doesn't care about the small developers, then I don't really care about them.  I'm not mad at them, i just don't care about them.  i care about the small developers because they care about me.

wraith808:
Actually one indication of MS's original intentions was that the new version of the free Visual Studio Express was originally intended for developing not-Metro apps only (with no desktop app support) - they have back tracked on that sharply, when the public outcry built up, but I think it says a lot about what they were thinking!
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2012, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really.  There were a lot of things that VSE was prohibited from doing that they backtracked on.  I think they were trying to pare it down, not really thinking about the backlash.  They do that a lot, unfortunately.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version