ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (5/23) > >>

Stoic Joker:
And regarding the Windows 8 is poised at the brink of enslaving us in a gilded cage which will turn us all into palpitating porridge based eye puppets crap ... Can we at least try to keep in mind that this is totally conjecture. Nothing is or has been proven or verified as fact. No internal secret memos have been exposed substantiating any of these claims ... It's total assumption pure and simple.
-Stoic Joker (November 21, 2012, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stripped of the hyperbole on both sides, what it comes down to is pretty simple. And it doesn't take rocket science to analyze or see it.-40hz (November 21, 2012, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both sides? Seriously? There is hyperbole on both sides. You have one side spewing FUD (ala the Vista days), and the other side saying Jesus would you just friggin try the thing?

And no it isn't just that cut and dried obvious that this is the beginning of the end of anything. It's just an innovative step that everybody is strangely pissed off about. Yes they have an app store...they did before too. But now the app store has apps that can be used on desktops and tablets. Well gee-wizz what a weird assed thing to do for a company that is trying to create a unified user experience.

The only thing that's bloody obvious is that there was no way in hell that desktop applications were going to run properly, or be usable on a phone. But the phone apps were quite usable on a tablet...which also sucked at running desktop applications. Doesn't leave a lot of options now does it. Then there was the several years old and for the most part completely ignored Windows SideStep (name something to that effect) that was to allow the user to do basic stuff on the fly from a small screen in the lid of a closed laptop. But it totally sucked because the apps in question were not designed well for that small of a screen. Hm...

So what type of apps do we need??

But... But... But..! ...They're in an [Horrified Gasp!] App Store!?!! Yeah So. Where the hell else are they going to put them so that they're easy to get and install on a phone (or tablet for that matter) C-Nets website? Hell I can't even navigate that maze (without screaming) with a full desktop half the time.

But they restricted Side Loading - Yes much to the relief of mobile phone support companies everywhere. The point is - limited or not - they allowed it for enterprise and developers. It could just as easily be opened going forward if people keep the shitware down to a dull roar.

Think about all the years MS begged and pleaded upon def ears to stop using undocumented functions, sloppy coding practices, and etc. Did anybody listen?? No. 70% if the Windows API was deprecating during XP SP2. Now people had to listen...but only some did. Now they ratchet down another notch - because they basically have to - and I think (in part) the punishment is deserved.

40hz:
@SJ et al - Ok. Tempers seem to be starting to run a little high here. So I'm going to bow out for now and leave it to others.

Happy thanksgiving all!  :) :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Granted I do tend to be blunt at times, but I'm not angry. I'm just tired of the preclusive assertion that the end is nye.

Carol Haynes:
It isn't me that described Windows 8 desktop as 'legacy' it was MS! The fact that there is only minimal development on the desktop from Windows 7 says a lot about their intentions for the trad desktop.

Call me cynical if you like but the reason MS is calling something 'legacy' is because you can no longer rely on it being present in future versions.

MS are openly positioning themselves to move to a locked in infrastructure. Sure they will allow people to write software for not-Metro but they will charge you to validate software as suitable for their store in order to get it listed at all. Remember no downloads for the not-Metro interface except from MS's vetted store, and absolutely no adult orientated material, including games, allowed. Look at how much they currently they charge developers wanting to develop certified drivers! Once approved MS collect 30%, or whatever cut they choose when the dust settles, revenue on sales. This is yet another way MS will screw money out of developers ... an easy way to make cash for no work. They'd be stupid to produce a fully complete interface as it would limit their earnings!!!

wraith808:
It isn't me that described Windows 8 desktop as 'legacy' it was MS! The fact that there is only minimal development on the desktop from Windows 7 says a lot about their intentions for the trad desktop.
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2012, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that some people are calling the classic desktop 'legacy' and I've seen it bandied about... but can you show me somewhere that MS has said it's legacy?  I think that non-Metro says a lot about their intentions towards tablets, but not necessarily towards desktops.  I think if they're guilty of anything, it's feeling things out and not setting their path out there because they don't know what it is.  And I think that's worst case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version