ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (2/23) > >>

40hz:
At the risk of sounding flip, I wasn't even waiting for Windows 8.  :-\

dr_andus:
The new UI side of Win8 is aimed at tablets and as such should, I think, be compared with whatever it is they have on iPads and the relevant Androids. That's a world I know nothing about so I cant comment.
-tomos (November 21, 2012, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, so how about comparing it to Win7 then? Are the "minor" annoyances you mention outweighed by some major benefit (for Win7 desktop users - or even XP users who may want to choose between Win7 and Win8)?

Carol Haynes:
I really don't see a difference between 7 and 8 other than the start menu. All of this angst is hot air in my opinion. The real things to be leary of are the fact that Windows 8 brings so little to the table and that MS seems to be shifting toward a more Apple-esque walled playground...
-Darwin (November 20, 2012, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the point - the start menu (aka not-Metro) is set to become the ONLY interface in future incarnations. Already not-Metro includes browsing, email and media tools as standard and MS are ominously calling the trad dekstop the 'legacy desktop'.

They have made it very clear where they are heading.

I suspect by the time Windows 9 appears it won't even be called Windows and there won't be a desktop any more. Hell if Apple and MS get their way in the next 10 years there won't be desktop computers and laptops any more - we will all be using consumable, throwaway devices tied to their cash generation systems.

40hz:
I suspect by the time Windows 9 appears it won't even be called Windows and there won't be a desktop any more. Hell if Apple and MS get their way in the next 10 years there won't be desktop computers and laptops any more - we will all be using consumable, throwaway devices tied to their cash generation systems.
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2012, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely right. This isn't Microsoft attempting to change things around. It's Microsoft attempting to replace everything wholesale. And with something that makes no sense - except as part of a new revenue model.

None of this has anything to do with productivity, the end-user, or innovation. It has everything to do with IP protectionism, money, and customer lock-in.

And if the general computer using public lets them get away with it - or allows themselves to get bought off for so little in return - then they deserve the future they get.

There will always be the rebels...  ;)

Because we did it once before back in the late 70s and early 80s.  8)

And we can do it again if we have to. :Thmbsup:

anandcoral:
- we will all be using consumable, throwaway devices tied to their cash generation systems.
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2012, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

...and some cash for we programmers.

Try to remember DOS 3.0. No 'undelete' command. Peter Norton made some cash.
Fast forward to IPhone OS. No 'cut-paste'. Many programmers made some cash.
Now Win 8. No 'start menu'. Start8 like makes some cash.

I try to see the positive side of things. I can not stop MS or Apple to do what they are doing, but see how we programmers are going to earn our daily bread from it. We need some base (OS) to program on it and supporting a small program is far easier for a small programmer than supporting a full OS, if he/she makes one.

At time of plain DOS, users needed consultant, from IT guys near him/her. Now internet gives us very wide choice both for users and programmers.

Do not worry, some programmer will make one 'program' which will remove/suppress all the annoyance of Win 8 and make it behave like Win 7, Mac or Linux, you name it.

Regards,

Anand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version