ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you going to wait for Windows 9?

<< < (12/23) > >>

robinsiebler:
TBH, I have not looked at a single review for Win 8, nor do I intend to switch to it for personal use. I am quite content with Win 7 and see no reason to upgrade. The company I work for has no intention of switching to Win 8 either, aside for having a few PCs in SQA for testing purposes.

f0dder:
I'll keep it to "First they came for the [...], and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a [...]. - and I'm sorry, but no, I don't think that's fatalist thinking. Looking at what Apple is doing and speculating(!) that Microsoft wants to do the same, I do think that's the way we're heading... unless enough people protest.-f0dder (November 22, 2012, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's fine. But much like the end of the Myan calendar, we won't know what will actually happen until after it actually happens ... Regardless of how convincingly prophetic ones diatribes may be.

The thing that I'm feed up with, is the simple fact that it seems near impossible to have a discussion about the OS, as specifically and only an O. S. Without it almost instantly denigrating into a discussion about its role as a sociopolitical pawn in a bid for global domination.

There's a time and place for everything...Ya know.-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2012, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
I understand where you're coming from, and I do believe there's too much FUD about Win8... and people bitching at it for the wrong reasons (oh noes, start menu is gone, zomgzomgozomg!). I've been bitching a bit af friends that have been doing that kind of silly bitching.

But there's some - potentially - nasty things happening with Win8, and that really needs to be called out. I'd rather have people crying wolf and nothing happening, rather than risk that we end up without any open mainstream OSes. If linux had been a bit more... ready... then Microsoft fscking up bigtime could have been a good thing. But as things are now, there's only two decent desktop OSes: Windows and OS X. And going from Windows to OS X because of closedness concerns would be... insane :)

I'd be happy if my concerns turn out to be a fart in a bottle. I'd really hate the alternative :)

Arizona Hot:
IF I could get a leftover new Win 7 machine, would I have to junk my 32-bit programs or does Win 7-64 bit handle them OK?

Josh:
I have had ZERO problems with 64 bit windows since the Vista days. XP64 was another animal, but Vista 64 and Win7 64 have proven quite reliable.

Arizona Hot:
I have had ZERO problems with 64 bit windows since the Vista days. XP64 was another animal, but Vista 64 and Win7 64 have proven quite reliable.
-Josh (November 24, 2012, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version