ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anything wrong with formatting a USB stick in NTFS?

<< < (3/7) > >>

f0dder:
Please don't subscribe to Cargo Cults :)

Doing a full format on new pendrives is a good idea anyway, as there's been more than one example of cheap Chinese brands that were labelled (and controller-configured) with a higher capacity than they actually have - which ends up giving you data corruption if you fill the drive beyond it's real capacity. (If controller simply does offset%realsize, a full format will not be enough to detect this malpractice, though - so it'd be even better to do a quickformat, fill the drive with data, and verify the data was written correctly).

MilesAhead:
It's probably the ghost in the machine. This isn't just cheapie pen drives but WD Caviar Black Sata III bare drives in USB 3.0 docks. None of 'em like the quick format. Maybe it's just a conspiracy by Windows Seven to waste 2 of my hours. Or perhaps the drives weren't aware of your theoretical objections.  In any case, just my experience. I realize the BMW convertible crowd may be able to do things the easy way.  That's how it goes.

superboyac:
lol  ;D thanks guys, very helpful.  I'll just leave it be for now.

f0dder:
Did a little investigation, seems things have changed since does-format-write-zeroes was last brought up. So it actually does make sense that a non-quick format has helped you :)

XP and below, "full format" actually only does quick-format + sector verification... Vista and onwards, you get zero-overwrite (and reallocation triggering). Yay research ^_^

MilesAhead:
Did a little investigation, seems things have changed since does-format-write-zeroes was last brought up. So it actually does make sense that a non-quick format has helped you :)

XP and below, "full format" actually only does quick-format + sector verification... Vista and onwards, you get zero-overwrite (and reallocation triggering). Yay research ^_^
-f0dder (November 19, 2012, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad you found that out. I had the "feeling" it was writing something all that time. But I wasn't certain.  Probably with format to the same file type the quickie is fine. But changing to another file type it may be worth it to spend the time for the full shootin' match. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version