topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rumors about a Microsoft branded smartphone surface  (Read 3791 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rumors about a Microsoft branded smartphone surface
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:59 AM »
home0.jpg

Look who's looking more and more like Apple every day...

Hot on the heels of Surface, there are now some credible rumors being heard of Microsoft possibly building its own smartphone in China.

From MIT Technology Review comes this bit of news/editorial/speculation.

...Ever since Microsoft announced its landmark Windows Phone agreement with Nokia, there have been mutterings that the company is thinking about producing its own smartphone. Earlier this month came the clearest sign yet, when the Wall Street Journal quoted officials at Microsoft parts suppliers in Asia as saying that testing had already begun. Add to this the recent launch of the Microsoft Surface tablet—which showcases the touch-screen capabilities of Windows 8 and RT operating systems—and CEO Steve Ballmer’s recent speculation that the Redmond, Washington–based firm would “obviously” make more hardware, and the case becomes even more compelling.
Microsoft has already failed with a previous smartphone launch, the ill-fated Kin, and its only hardware success to date has been Xbox. Nonetheless, Ovum analyst Tony Cripps argues that it’s quite possible Microsoft is taking the same strategy with the smartphone that it took with its recently launched Surface tablet. “While there were risks involved, Microsoft created Surface, and it made sense to do so. Why not do it again?” he says. “It’s about staying relevant.”...

Full article here.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Rumors about a Microsoft branded smartphone surface
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:01 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05 AM »
@eleman - True. The article mentions that. But third time has always been the charm for Microsoft...

I just hope they don't get Siri envy and try to bring 'Bob' or 'Clippy' back.  :-\

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23 AM »
@eleman - True. The article mentions that. But third time has always been the charm for Microsoft...
I just hope they don't get Siri envy and try to bring 'Bob' or 'Clippy' back.  :-\

"I see you are trying to make a Smartphone. Would you like to pattern it after the Zune? We could make the ad slogan CallsForSure."  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I just hope they don't get Siri envy and try to bring 'Bob' or 'Clippy' back.  :-\

"I see you are trying to make a Smartphone. Would you like to pattern it after the Zune? We could make the ad slogan CallsForSure."  :D

Cruel. Also funny. But still cruel. ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Microsoft has been successful in hardware before.  Just not hardware platforms.  And I haven't been able to figure out why they haven't been able to make that connection.  I think it's a lack of commitment?