ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Your Smart Device Predictions?

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Looks like we've got a barrage of new smart devices coming our way, including TVs and cameras and cars.

Anyone have any ideas what they think will be coming out next? i.e. Devices with a more complex OS, and not just microcontrollers (MCUs).

I'm tending to think that the next generation of smart devices will shift from the personal device area to home appliances, e.g. washing machines, refrigerators, stoves/ovens, atmosphere control (air conditioners, central heating, etc.), etc.

I really have no 'evidence' for that, but just a gut feeling. I think it's still a few years away yet.

Thoughts?

ewemoa:
It seems to me that voice recognition and text-to-speech may make available features within devices that many folks until now have not had enough incentive to learn and then make use of.

Tinman57:
According to Headline News just last week, they're working on washers, dryers, and other appliances being internet ready.  In fact they stated that there's going to be a whole household that can be controlled over the internet.  Personally I don't care to have any appliances that can be controlled over the web.  Too many hackers out there that have nothing better to do than make your toaster go into overdrive and burn down the house.
  I think we're getting way too carried away with these so called "smart devices".  I don't think it's very "smart" to have them.   ;)

superboyac:
Seems to me like the devices are going from more complex to more simple, with the cloud and the big boys taking care of most geek stuff behind the scenes.  That's certainly what's happened to the computer.  From what I can tell, the whole personal computer thing peaked somewhere during 1995-2005.  There was DOS, Windows, internet, lots of great software.

Now it feels like the innovations are largely minor, but super-hyped.  Feels like the big boys are trying to squeeze as much money out of the whole industry as possible while keeping the actual real productive innovations as minor as possible.  OO...bigger phone screens, whoop dee do.  A lot of tinker-friendly features have been removed and continue to be removed.  Curious people and ideamen are made more and more to feel like illegal hackers unless they are working for one of the big boys.

But really...I think I'm just growing up or something. ;D

Tinman57:
Seems to me like the devices are going from more complex to more simple, with the cloud and the big boys taking care of most geek stuff behind the scenes.  That's certainly what's happened to the computer.  From what I can tell, the whole personal computer thing peaked somewhere during 1995-2005.  There was DOS, Windows, internet, lots of great software.

Now it feels like the innovations are largely minor, but super-hyped.  Feels like the big boys are trying to squeeze as much money out of the whole industry as possible while keeping the actual real productive innovations as minor as possible.  OO...bigger phone screens, whoop dee do.  A lot of tinker-friendly features have been removed and continue to be removed.  Curious people and ideamen are made more and more to feel like illegal hackers unless they are working for one of the big boys.

But really...I think I'm just growing up or something. ;D
-superboyac (November 19, 2012, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read an article on the internet that pretty much said the same thing.  These companies are releasing technology a little at a time, only giving you the older technology.  Once they've made their money on that, they'll release the next big thing that's been sitting on the shelf for years....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version