ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How Much Do You Trust Wikipedia?

<< < (6/8) > >>

J-Mac:
Seven years ago at dinner, I mentioned something I had read on wikipedia and my 12-year-old piped up and said, "I edit postings there all the time!" And after dinner he proved to me that he did. He is 19 now and I just asked him if he remembered that incident and he just snickered and walked away. Just sayin'.
-Joe Hone (January 05, 2013, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

While that is true indeed, I have noticed lately that there is a heckuva lot more oversight of changes now than in the past. Whenever a change is made to a page without noted and what I think they call "notable" references, it is either held out until such is provided or deleted altogether. So apparently someone is trying!

Jim

KynloStephen66515:
It all depends...but I also like bacon...

TaoPhoenix:

Heh then there's this:
Bicholim Conflict

http://www.dailydot.com/news/wikipedia-bicholim-conflict-hoax-deleted/
" Up until a week ago, here is something you could have learned from Wikipedia: 

From 1640 to 1641 the might of colonial Portugal clashed with India's massive Maratha Empire in an undeclared war that would later be known as the Bicholim Conflict. Named after the northern Indian region where most of the fighting took place, the conflict ended with a peace treaty that would later help cement Goa as an independent Indian state.

Except none of this ever actually happened. The Bicholim Conflict is a figment of a creative Wikipedian's imagination. It's a huge, laborious, 4,500 word hoax. And it fooled Wikipedia editors for more than 5 years."

:D

Edvard:
For some reason, that strikes me as deplorable and completely awesome at the same time.

f0dder:
Seven years ago at dinner, I mentioned something I had read on wikipedia and my 12-year-old piped up and said, "I edit postings there all the time!" And after dinner he proved to me that he did. He is 19 now and I just asked him if he remembered that incident and he just snickered and walked away. Just sayin'.-Joe Hone (January 05, 2013, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
...and unless he edited to something relevant, the defacement is gone in ~5min.

There's automated bots reverting stuff that's clearly spam, and there's people checking "newly edited" all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version