ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How Much Do You Trust Wikipedia?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Deozaan:
I don't like bacon. I love it!

Edvard:
I gave it a '5' because I edit all the articles I look up.
Seriously...

kidding... kidding... I like bacon ;D

J-Mac:
Depends on what I am seeking. I don’t use Wikipedia for rock solid reference material when I am doing research or fact-checking. But I often use it for mundane lookups: TV show summaries or cast members/episodes, etc. Quick info on a particular location. Works well for me on those things.

For math I almost always use Wolfram Alpha now, though they can be a PITA about spamming me to upgrade. (I have the lowest cost premium account there, but they want blood it seems!)

Wikipedia serves me well for all my "who-really-cares" inquiries - which I do pretty often! I can waste my time with the best of 'em!   :Thmbsup:

Thanks!

Jim

40hz:
Even the noblest attempts at providing accurate and unbiased information can easily be corrupted by carelessness, deliberate deception, or somebody in a positon of authority who is pursuing a personal agenda or "higher truth."-40hz
--- End quote ---

I think two things need to be distinguish here:

Wikipedia as an entity has never been a noble attempt much less the noblest attempt.-Paul Keith (November 18, 2012, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just for the record, I don't think anybody here ever said (or even imagined) it was. :)

Accurate and unbiased information is in my opinion a red herring to a "higher truth".
--- End quote ---

Many, in their opinion, would disagree with that.

But I suppose that is what characterizes an opinion as being "an opinion." There's neither "a higher truth" nor even so much as a biased (or unbiased) basis to the statements that constitute such opinions. It's all about how something "feels' or "seems" or "looks" or "sounds like." And it's presented as a given.

Consider, however, that too much reliance on that side of the brain runs the risk of embracing "magical thinking" as its own "higher truth." Something that's running rampant in US political circles these days. And, unfortunately with predictable results.

At least in my opinion. ;) ;D

Joe Hone:
Seven years ago at dinner, I mentioned something I had read on wikipedia and my 12-year-old piped up and said, "I edit postings there all the time!" And after dinner he proved to me that he did. He is 19 now and I just asked him if he remembered that incident and he just snickered and walked away. Just sayin'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version