ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (119/121) > >>

mouser:
love to hear how you're going to use it..

4wd:
love to hear how you're going to use it..
-mouser (March 07, 2021, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm thinking image classification atm, there's a few projects on GitHub that use TensorFlow (Lite) so I thought I might have a play around.

Having spent quite a few hours classifying hundreds of digital photos which is just a drop in the thousands I have, it'd be nice to see if the Accelerator can speed up the process by using low powered hardware rather than having a full desktop doing it.

Plus it's cheap enough that it's worth playing with.

It could also end up sitting in a drawer because I've decided to put it in the "too hard basket"  :P

Renegade:
My new computer coming later this week.

Deozaan:
My new computer coming later this week.
-Renegade (March 08, 2021, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice. I'm jealous. :D

I built the PC I'm using in 2011, and the only significant upgrade it has had since that time is a newer (but used) GPU, which I pretty much only got because my old GPU was breaking down.

I've been surprised by how long I've been happy with my PC, since previously I always strongly felt the need for an upgrade after only 5 years at most. But it has only been for about the past year that I've finally started feeling somewhat unsatisfied with this machine's performance. Maybe I'll finally become so unhappy with it that I'll get an upgrade in a couple of years...

But right now I think I'm mostly jealous of your new machine's RAM. It will have as many GBs of RAM as I have of SSD storage in my machine. :o :)

Something new in my quest to turn my RasPi into SkyNet: Coral Accelerator
-4wd (March 07, 2021, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds intriguing. AI and ML have fascinated me for the past few years, but apparently there are other things I'd rather spend my time on so I haven't learned much about doing any of it myself. Good luck!

Shades:
You have 2 RTX3080 video cards in your new PC?  Better put in a 1200 Watt power supply. When both video cards have a 100% load, the 1000 Watt power supply will make your system unstable.

RTX3080 and 3090 cards generate really high peaks and you will find to your chagrin that the 1000 Watt power supply will "choke" on those peaks. A bit of over-provisioning in power supply capacity is not a luxury with those beasts unfortunately. A computer with a single RTX 3080/3090 and a 800 Watt (platinum) power supply is cutting it close. 1000 Watts sounds like a lot. And it is. But 128GByte or RAM consumes quite a lot already, All those drives operate at very high speeds and require quite a lot of power as well. Let alone the CPU and chip-sets on the motherboard. You'll see that even those chip-sets have (passive) cooling as well. Why? Because they use a lot of power and generate quite a lot of heat too. Combine all that with those video cards and you might even find that a 1200 Watt power supply isn't up to the task. I kid you not.

Anyway, congrats on a awesome system. Wish I had the money myself, or lived in a country where it would be easy to get gear like that. No, Amazon/eBay etc. are hardly an option here, as Paraguay has borderline criminal surcharges for importing computer gear.

Well, in my case (and if I understood correctly, also Deozaan) if can't have the gear that you love, love the gear that you have. My old 2009 clunker has SSDs and 32 GByte (4x8) of RAM. But I found that 16 GByte (2x8) performed better. Not all motherboards and chip-set combinations handle dual-channel memory well when 4 RAM slots are filled. Leaving 2 of those empty is actually faster on my machine. Video encoding (x265, 10-bit) of a 45 minute video file took 3 minutes less with 16 GByte than with 32 GByte.

To Deozaan my advice would be to get 2 of the largest size RAM modules your motherboard supports and flip your current RAM module(s) on eBay or something. As your system is of comparable age as mine, the maximum size per RAM module will likely be 8 GByte. So get 2 of those. Kingston and Corsair are decent brands for RAM that work (and keep working) on the specified speeds over their functional life. Also check the maximum speed of the RAM modules your motherboard supports.

Info like this is usually easy to come by on the support pages of the motherboard's manufacturer website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version