ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (115/121) > >>

Shades:
As long as both devices are connected to the internet, you can install software like NoMachine, AnyDesk, TeamViewer, etc. on each device. Then you can start the software on the device that is intended as the display and "connect" through your (local) network to the other device.

Works like a charm on Windows and Linux. AnyDesk is by far the easiest, you can use it for free and hardly nags at you. When both devices are in your own LAN (same subnet), you can watch video with audio without synchronization problems. Tried that myself. If you care about synchronization issues, AnyDesk is less ideal to watch videos with audio on a computer that is not in your own network. But for office work/coding etc. it still works excellent.

Shades:
It is easier to setup than VNC. AnyDesk and similar software take care of routing, port-forwarding etc.

Installing VNC is not difficult either, but when a WAN is introduced, it becomes more complicated. From your posts in this forum, I believe you are capable to do all those changes in your home network, but everyone can appreciate how easy AnyDesk makes it.

Next to that, you can enable 2FA on the AnyDesk connection and creating of (reverse) TCP tunnels becomes extremely simple too. 

4wd:
Actually, I think we've all kind of missed the point, me included  :-[

Which is what Wraith is getting at I'm guessing.

AnyDesk, NoMachine, VNC, etc are for controlling the computer remotely. Client controls host.

Don't you really want something that mirrors what you're doing on the Pi to another device, ie. phone/tablet ?
Client mirrors host.

So the equivalent of casting the display from the Pi, eg. LetsView (not avail. for Linux).

wraith808:
So the equivalent of casting the display from the Pi
-4wd (December 30, 2020, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what I want.  I have a PI that has a keyboard and mouse attached, but no display other than a really small one.  I'll have my daughter's display in a bit when she leaves, so not a big deal, but I have a lot of tablets hanging around, and if one of those could be the display for the Pi, I'd be all over it.

4wd:
So the equivalent of casting the display from the Pi
-4wd (December 30, 2020, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what I want.  I have a PI that has a keyboard and mouse attached, but no display other than a really small one. -wraith808 (December 30, 2020, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you need to look for something that implements the WiFi Display protocol (MiraCast), for example MiracleCast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version