ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (112/121) > >>

4wd:
You mean like this?-Deozaan (December 11, 2020, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, except I have the ones with the fans:

Which was probably a mistake as they go noisy after a few months, temperature is fine even with them unplugged.

I got the above heatsink case to go with my Pi. I'm normally very utilitarian and don't care too much about how things look and just go for black, but I really like the colorful options this case comes in.
--- End quote ---

I was just after something that provided decent heat removal ... like a big block of Al ;D

My only complaint about it is that it doesn't quite fully encase the board. Which, in practice, means that the microSD card is poking out a few millimeters, exposed to damage from bumps or drops.
--- End quote ---

I currently use SSDs, (via USB3 adapters), that are no longer used for anything else, speeds up the RasPi dramatically.  I'm waiting for CM to release the STL files for different backs, (SSD mount, M.2 mount, etc), so I can get a friend to print a couple up for me.

And one of these for the 3B+: Armored Pi HDD Case

Also, even though I don't power it on and off very often now that it's all set up and doing what I got it to do, I've found it indispensable to have some kind of power switch for the Pi for those times when you are setting it up and having to frequently turn it off and on again.
--- End quote ---

I have a switched USB power cable for my RasPi3B+ and was supposed to have one for the RasPi4B but the supplier sent a straight USB-C cable, (and I got the diff refunded).

The Pi Case 40 having a [normal PC-like] power switch was one of the reasons I went with it, (otherwise I was going to create one using info from the net) ... speaking of which:

Redneck power-off switch  ;D

But I don't think I'll be using their Pi Tool, it doesn't run on DietPi, it's insanely large for what it is (Electron ... FGS!?), plus it's not re-sizeable - it's higher than a 720p resolution, (all my Pi's are headless, only SSH/VNC access).
I'll use one of the python scripts on the net to do the button push monitor/action.

BTW, the Pi Case 40 is available on Amazon with 1* reviews because of the reversed GPIO.
Still, doesn't bother me as both of mine run as Docker hosts and I want them to be portable.

Deozaan:
BTW, the Pi Case 40 is available on Amazon with 1* reviews because of the reversed GPIO.
Still, doesn't bother me [...]
-4wd (December 11, 2020, 11:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have to say I agree with the reviewers. Why make a big deal about redirecting the GPIO to enable access and then screw it up by making it non-standard? I'm also really confused about why a big company like Cooler Master would need a Kickstarter to fundraise a project like this. :huh:

That said, I also agree with you. I've never used the GPIO on any of my little RPi-like devices, so I wouldn't personally be bothered by the issue. It looks like a nice case other than that one (potentially dealbreaking) design flaw. If I were buying another RPi4 today, I might consider getting that case to go with it. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I'd have to say I agree with the reviewers. Why make a big deal about redirecting the GPIO to enable access and then screw it up by making it non-standard? I'm also really confused about why a big company like Cooler Master would need a Kickstarter to fundraise a project like this. :huh:
-Deozaan (December 12, 2020, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kickstarter isn't always about need... it's a business strategy now.  Many companies use Kickstarter as a way to judge interest and defray risks.  It's just how it is, for better or for worse.  They shift a large part of the risk that they would have to bear and the cash flow that they would need to invest to the consumers in this fashion.

4wd:
Still, doesn't bother me [...]
-4wd (December 11, 2020, 11:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have to say I agree with the reviewers. Why make a big deal about redirecting the GPIO to enable access and then screw it up by making it non-standard?-Deozaan (December 12, 2020, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say that possibly a big part of it is trying to keep cost low also, (for that form factor), the right angle connector is an off-the-shelf part that takes up minimal space.

Whereas, I'm unaware of any right-angle connector that crosses over the connections, so it would necessitate an internal adapter board which would increase cost and the size of the case. They need a male header strip, a circuit board to cross over the traces, and then a female right-angle header.

They are talking about followup designs that correct the problem ... which didn't make supporters very happy.

tomos:
DOH! New tablet also: Alldocube iPlay 20 - For just over US$115 it's a terrific tablet, (previously had an Amazon FireHD8) - a review.

No Widevine L1 so limited to Netflix SD but tbh, it's a 10" screen, it still looks pretty good.

Other than that: Octocore Unisoc, Android 10, 1920x1200 10.1" IPS w/ Gorilla Glass, GPS/Beidou, 4GB RAM + 64GB Flash, up to 512GB uSD, USB-C, Dual SIM 4G LTE (inc. B28 & VoLTE) ... biggest phone I've ever owned ;D

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-4wd (September 11, 2020, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I got that one myself a while back - very happy with it. Got it sent within EU from the Czech Rebublic for a few dollars euros more. Price was cheaper though when purchased using the Banggood app (I cant remember now, around 10$ cheaper I think), but be warned, they ignore the unsubscribe button on emails :-/

Here a review of its more powerful brother, the iPlay 30, available for around US$160 with coupon BGALIP30 (see video info for shop link)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version