ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (88/122) > >>

4wd:
Nokia Purity HD Wired WH-930 by Monster On-Ear Headphones.
-IainB (October 17, 2017, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Look pretty much like the MEE Audio AF65 Touch headphones I have ... except yours have a wire  :P
-4wd (October 18, 2017, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Crikey, yes, so they do - in fact, from the close-ups, the design of the MEE Audio AF65 Touch look almost identical, barring the rounded-hole ear-pads.
The close-ups seems to indicate that the ear-pads are probably still made/fitted in the same rubbish way though - i.e., glued-on to a fabric backplate, which is itself glued-on to the plastic of the headset. However, they might last a while longer, because, by going for a perforated design for the ear-pads, they look as though they might have avoided the perishable seam (weakness/defect) of the rounded-hole ear-pad design of the Monster headphones.-IainB (October 18, 2017, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite, the AF65's are designed to have replaceable parts, the cushions aren't glued to anything. You can slide them off the plastic carrier and install new ones:

Gadget WEEKENDS

Comfort is excellent, they come with a hard case which is great for travelling, noise isolation is reasonable (not as good as the MEE Audio AF36 Wave I had but this has touch control ... geek factor is high), battery lasts 24 hours, aptX low latency, and they sound great.

IainB:
Not quite, the AF65's are designed to have replaceable parts, the cushions aren't glued to anything. You can slide them off the plastic carrier and install new ones: ...
-4wd (October 19, 2017, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
That sounds like a much improved design. I didn't want to push my luck and detach  the fibre and plastic backplate/carriers for the ear-pads, in case I couldn't get them back on again. There definitely seemed to be some permanently tacky glue involved though. Maybe I should take a closer and more "destructive" look.

Did the AF65 come with a spare set of ear-pads? Are those stubby little black pegs on the carrier a friction-fit into the plastic of the headphone?
Hmm... I wonder how much the pads would cost to buy and whether I could retro-fit them to the Monster headphones...

4wd:
Did the AF65 come with a spare set of ear-pads?-IainB (October 19, 2017, 05:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

No

Are those stubby little black pegs on the carrier a friction-fit into the plastic of the headphone?
--- End quote ---

Yes

Hmm... I wonder how much the pads would cost to buy and whether I could retro-fit them to the Monster headphones...
--- End quote ---

Gadget WEEKENDS

Cut out is 42 mm for the 40mm drivers.

EDIT: Looks like you can't get the pads according to one Amazon review: "after about a year, the ear pad covers started to disintegrate. MEE doesn't sell these particular covers, so you either wear trashy looking headphones (that still work great), or you buy a new set."

I've had mine for over a year and they still look OK but then he doesn't say how he stores them, leaving them in daylight a lot would probably deteriorate the vinyl quickly.

If you have a friend in the USA then you can get a set of AF65' from Amazon for $19.69 ... I bought a second pair a few months ago when they hit ~$30 + $6 P&P but they were being sold by Amazon Export Sales, (and it's currently $45 + P&P from them).

I bought a couple of pairs for a friend in the USA, he was pleasantly surprised by how good they are.

IainB:
"after about a year, the ear pad covers started to disintegrate. MEE doesn't sell these particular covers, so you either wear trashy looking headphones (that still work great), or you buy a new set."
-4wd (October 19, 2017, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, well I guess that just about sums up the integrity of their marketing then, doesn't it?
Product life = approx. 1 year, after which elapsed time it becomes a "disposable" object.
I'm not really too surprised, if that is the case, having already presumed that this would probably be the case for the discarded Monster headphones that I found.

4wd:
"after about a year, the ear pad covers started to disintegrate. MEE doesn't sell these particular covers, so you either wear trashy looking headphones (that still work great), or you buy a new set."-4wd (October 19, 2017, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, well I guess that just about sums up the integrity of their marketing then, doesn't it?
Product life = approx. 1 year, after which elapsed time it becomes a "disposable" object.
I'm not really too surprised, if that is the case, having already presumed that this would probably be the case for the discarded Monster headphones that I found.-IainB (October 19, 2017, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Meh, 1 report out of all of them, more inclined to think it's storage, failure to properly maintain, or just an isolated quality control case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version