ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (65/121) > >>

Renegade:
After my "bag holder opener" gadget post, DC members ewemoa, app103, and I were brainstorming about ways to use existing kitchen tools to hold open bags more effectively.

I believe we came up with an ideal solution, which is to use some thin flexible plasting cutting mats, and roll them up and place them INSIDE the bag like an expanding tube.
 (see attachment in previous post) (see attachment in previous post)
The solution is pretty great because:

* It maximally holds open the bag (this is a huge advantage over the gadget, which only holds open the bag a tiny bit).
* It takes up NO storage space (compared to gadget which does) and requires no setup.
* It is super easy to clean and acts like a funnel.
* Works on any size bag (you could even trim the plastic cutting mat to make a smaller size one for small quart bags.

Tips on buying the flexible cutting mats: Just make sure the ones you buy aren't too brittle (as you will have to roll them up) or completely limp/silicone (as you want them to try to unroll in the bag to provide tension). Some samples on Amazon.com:
 (see attachment in previous post)http://www.amazon.com/CounterArt-Flexible-Non-Skid-Cutting-Assorted/dp/B00337YF7Q
http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

As ewemoa has pointed out, one drawback of this approach is that you have to wash the cutting mat after use.  One alternative would be to use an INNER bag draped over the "tube".  That will work providing the mat is not too oversized.  Of course this will also work if you happen to have a pitcher of the right radius and height -- without need for mat at all.
 (see attachment in previous post)
-mouser (May 25, 2013, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a great idea, and I've even got those flexible cutting 'boards'. 

On a meta level, I've been wanting to figure out more things like that, i.e. repurposing things for other than their intended uses.

Probably the most obvious is the cardboard box - it is most easily repurposed as a toy for small children! :D "Hey. Here's a box. Have fun!"

There's got to be a site out there that does repurposing...

Renegade:
A couple weeks ago I bought a new productivity tool. It's probably one of my most valuable productivity tools, and helps me get so much done that I couldn't even begin to describe just how amazing this is.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/multimedia-speaker-z50

:tellme: Productivity?!?

As an information junkie, and being incapable of not having information streaming into my glassy eyes at every waking second, it is very difficult to do things like, oh, say wash the dishes, etc.

So, this sits in the kitchen where it gets plugged into my tablet so I can play podcasts and videos of interviews. e.g. The Tom Woods show, The Corbett Report, etc.

I have to turn up the volume full blast if I've got the tap running in the kitchen, so it's not really loud, but it's about loud enough.

That it's a single speaker makes it a bit more compact, though there is still that volume issue. Overall, it's about the right volume for a room at full volume if you're cleaning. Vacuuming is out of the question though. Also, the Thermomix is loud, but that's only for 3 seconds (usually less).

I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for great stereo audio quality for music while you're cleaning. It's much better suited to podcasts and talks.

app103:
-Renegade (August 15, 2014, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of repurposing, buy yourself another one of those shave brushes and use it exclusively for this. ;)

Renegade:
-Renegade (August 15, 2014, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of repurposing, buy yourself another one of those shave brushes and use it exclusively for this. ;)
-app103 (August 15, 2014, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Given the price of them here (everything here is expensive compared to there), a cheap, small paint brush might be better, but yes - definitely an idea.

We've got a calligraphy paint brush around here somewhere. It would likely be ideal as it's long and thin enough to get into those tighter spots, e.g. between components.

app103:
a cheap, small paint brush might be better, but yes - definitely an idea.
-Renegade (August 15, 2014, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please be sure not to buy anything synthetic for the job, and only those bristle types that are naturally anti-static (badger, black sable, boar). And don't reuse brushes that have been previously used for paint or other substances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version