ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (55/122) > >>

Renegade:
Got a KVM switch so I could switch between an old and new machine while using same monitor, keyboard, speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-2-Port-DVI-D-Cable-GCS932UB/dp/B002TQYSN8

(see attachment in previous post)

The darn thing actually works (surprised me)!
-mouser (August 16, 2013, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

KVMs rock! I had a 2-port and a 4-port KVM that I used to use years ago, but I only use 1 or 2 and rarely 3 computers now, and use Synergy - a software KVM. Different use cases though. But they're not DVI... both VGA.

At the moment, my current plan for my next machine is a server running a virtual environment and then VMs running inside. A different way to get around the issue of multiple machines.

Vurbal:
Got a KVM switch so I could switch between an old and new machine while using same monitor, keyboard, speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-2-Port-DVI-D-Cable-GCS932UB/dp/B002TQYSN8

(see attachment in previous post)

The darn thing actually works (surprised me)!
-mouser (August 16, 2013, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

KVMs rock! I had a 2-port and a 4-port KVM that I used to use years ago, but I only use 1 or 2 and rarely 3 computers now, and use Synergy - a software KVM. Different use cases though. But they're not DVI... both VGA.

At the moment, my current plan for my next machine is a server running a virtual environment and then VMs running inside. A different way to get around the issue of multiple machines.
-Renegade (August 16, 2013, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I ever get around to it that's the plan for my Linux server - most likely using Turnkey Linux.

I really need to get an actual KVM for my workbench, though, which is actually an old microwave cart that sits next to my desk. Currently I have a sort of manual KVM setup. I have a second video cable running from the VGA port on my monitor, a USB sharing switch connected to my wireless keyboard receiver. The mouse is a lot clunkier. I have a pair of the USB extension cables from old Logitech wireless mice that have a base to plug the dongle into. When I switch between computers I have to physically unplug the dongle from one and plug it into the other or just stick with the keyboard.

It's kludgy but not bad for a bunch of pieces I just had laying around. Still annoying, though, especially since I have to unplug the second set of cables from my server to use it on the workbench. A 3 machine KVM would be so much more convenient.

fenixproductions:
Got KVM about 8 months ago and this is one of the best accessories I ever bought. Luckily I found cheap 2-port Edimax.
It is simply great. Although there is one annoying behaviour: too much mouse moving.

I have 2 sets: laptop on left with big LCD in middle and PC with same middle screen and additional one on right side. So if mouse cursor is on right screen in desktop mode, after switching I always forget that laptop mouse was elsewhere and feel that I need to move it more and moreā€¦

Padlock6:
Just spent the morning going through this entire post.

There's some people here with real issues... including me  8)

x16wda:
My green laser came a couple of weeks ago and I love it! It is awesome!
-Deozaan (August 03, 2013, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very cool stuff!  I showed my five-year old Stellarium and then took him outside for a session with the "Star Pointer" and we have a blast!  He knows where Betelgeuse and Rigel are, and he can point out Cassiopeia ("Eopeia"). We've recently watched Jupiter and Mars in the morning and Venus and Saturn in the evening.  (But no, I don't let him hold it, even though he repeats to me we never ever point it towards planes, cars, houses or people!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version