ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (51/121) > >>

superboyac:
^^^ just btw,
the green lasers have been getting very popular in Egypt.
-tomos (July 06, 2013, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh wow!  That is really kind of cool!

Deozaan:
So the first step, in my opinion, is to get a pointing device so I can point it out to others.
-Deozaan (July 06, 2013, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uhm, I don't think that laser pointer is going to be powerful enough to mark a star.  Plus it would take the laser months to years before it reached the star in question, depending on the distance in light years.  If you did get a laser that powerful, it would be military grade and illegal to own.  Like, you could shoot down aircraft with it.   ;D-Tinman57 (July 06, 2013, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

The purpose of pointing at something is that you don't need to be able to actually touch it. :-P You just need to single it out from the other options.

the green lasers have been getting very popular in Egypt.
-tomos (July 06, 2013, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very interesting. I wonder why pointing (green) lasers at aircraft is illegal in the USA, but doesn't seem to cause any problems in Egypt. . .

40hz:
Very interesting. I wonder why pointing (green) lasers at aircraft is illegal in the USA, but doesn't seem to cause any problems in Egypt. . .
-Deozaan (July 07, 2013, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most likely because it freaks most people out because they assume the laser is attached to a gun?

In the case of that Hollywood guy, I think the judge wanted to send a very strong message that you don't ever beam aircraft - and you especially don't beam a police chopper - which is probably what mostly accounted for the severity of the sentence handed down.

I'm also guessing the guy's attitude in court had something to do with it.

Judge Stephen Wilson rejected Adam Gardenhire's arguments that aiming a laser at an aircraft in flight was not really very dangerous...
--- End quote ---

When you're up on federal charges, and you've already admitted you did it, it's best to at least appear to be contrite when standing before the federal judge presiding at your trial.

Otherwise you just might get made the "horrifying example of what can happen" if you do something like this.

:P

Tinman57:
Very interesting. I wonder why pointing (green) lasers at aircraft is illegal in the USA, but doesn't seem to cause any problems in Egypt. . . -Deozaan (July 07, 2013, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's illegal because lasers, like any other bright light, will temporarily blind the pilot.  Even with the headlights of a vehicle shining directly into a pilots eye will reduce his/her night vision up to 30 minutes, the time it takes a humans eye to re-adjust to the dark conditions.  This is why any flight-line vehicle MUST turn off their headlights when approaching an aircraft in the dark, with the exception of emergency vehicles.  A laser only has to contact the retina for a fraction of a second to hinder night vision.  Depending on the power and distance from the laser, you can even be permanently blinded by laser light.

As a pilot, when taxing at night and encountering another aircraft's lights along the taxiway/runways, I always close one eye to prevent it from being affected, which was taught in ground school and my flight instructor.

4wd:
Very interesting. I wonder why pointing (green) lasers at aircraft is illegal in the USA, but doesn't seem to cause any problems in Egypt. . .-Deozaan (July 07, 2013, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

They've been made a restricted import in Australia due to the mentally deficient pointing them at aircraft approaching Sydney International.

Prohibited and restricted imports
Laser pointers (restricted import)

Description:
   Hand-held devices commonly known as laser pointers with an accessible emission level of greater than 1mW.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version