ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (50/121) > >>

Deozaan:
I just bought one of these:

5mW 532nm Green Light Laser Pointer - Deep Blue + Silver (2 x AAA)

It will be a couple of weeks before it arrives, but I'm hoping it will be of decent enough quality to be able to point at stars with it. I love me some stargazing, and it would help to be able to point out which star exactly I'm talking about when trying to show people the star I call the "Up" star (because in the summers around midnight-1AM it seems it is almost exactly up above my head). And it would be nice if someone who actually knew the constellations and star names could tell me the real name of that star. . .

So the first step, in my opinion, is to get a pointing device so I can point it out to others.

superboyac:
^^ nice.  my cousin made me one of these, with a blue laser.  He included a backup battery and a special battery charger.  the power is about 2W i think (that's a lot), and the thing is so bright you can see the beam in full daylight.  it's actually pretty dangerous.  for sure it can point at the stars, with a thick ass beam too, about half the width of your pinkie.  it's crazy.  i love that thing, and my cuz!

edit, for star identification, in case you are not aware of it, get the software stellarium.
http://www.stellarium.org/

put it on a laptop, take it with you wherever you go star gazing with the laser.  with that and the laser, there's nothing you can't do!

tomos:
^^^ just btw,
the green lasers have been getting very popular in Egypt.

Deozaan:
for star identification, in case you are not aware of it, get the software stellarium.
http://www.stellarium.org/
-superboyac (July 06, 2013, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! I've just downloaded the PortableApps version.

Tinman57:
So the first step, in my opinion, is to get a pointing device so I can point it out to others.
-Deozaan (July 06, 2013, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uhm, I don't think that laser pointer is going to be powerful enough to mark a star.  Plus it would take the laser months to years before it reached the star in question, depending on the distance in light years.  If you did get a laser that powerful, it would be military grade and illegal to own.  Like, you could shoot down aircraft with it.   ;D

As far as green lasers go, according to all the experts, green lights up the target better.  Don't know if it travels further or not.  They're the "new" thing here in the states, but I'm not replacing the red lasers on my weapons.   :P  But I do use the green light on the reticle scope of my AR15, it's much easier to see at night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version