ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (48/121) > >>

40hz:
Re: Keurig

They're expensive, you pay a fortune for the coffee (average $0.75 per cup for coffee you brew yourself?), and I personally think they make an inferior cup of coffee.*

But...

My GF wanted and got one - and shortly afterwards discovered that hardly anybody local to us carries decaf K-cups. And when they do, the choices are extremely limited (as in one brand, one brew) for people like her that can't consume caffeinated coffee or tea for medical reasons.

Then she found these:

Now she just loads up with her favorite drip grind coffee and she's in business.

(She says they also work great with loose tea or a teabag crammed into them. Celestial Seasonings  :-* brand is easiest since there's no tags or strings to remove first.)

Available for $7.95 most places. Pays for itself with the first box of K-cupped coffee you don't have to buy.

But who really cares about that. It's really more that you get to use your snazzy Keurig and brew up your favorite blend of coffee or tea.

Nice. :Thmbsup:

----------------------------------------------
*ADDENDUM

Gadget WEEKENDS Being a coffee fanatic connoisseur,  I bit the bullet and shelled out an absolutely ludicrous amount of money a while back (actually it was a gift card I'd been hanging onto for something like this) and got a Technivorm Moccamaster. There's just no going back after you've had coffee made using one of these. Not worth it btw - unless you have "the coffee thing" real bad.

superboyac:
[/url])[/i] Being a coffee fanatic connoisseur,
-40hz (July 05, 2013, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
you too?  I've been trying out the different brew methods for the past 7 years.  I went from drip, to aeropress, to french press.  And now the one I've settled on is the v60 method where you control the water temperature, weight the amount of water and beans, and time the whole thing.  The baristas at the local foo foo shop taught me how to do it, and I do it on the weekends.  Awesome!

cmpm:
I've been playing with my air pistol.
I have a Crosman 1377. Shooting .177 pellets. About 5 pumps is enough, this gun's limit is 10 pumps. Some of the other air guns need only one pump, I can't afford those yet.
I like these pellets with the red polymer tip, I can see which way to put the pellets in the gun.
Shooting targets at 10 to 20 yards, it's very accurate!
The price is good if you find it on sale at your local sporting goods store.

I've found a new hobby!
Some of these air pistols are very expensive.
It is very good with open sights, but I'm going to put a sight on the pistol, a red dot sight.

A rifle with a scope might be my next one.

The pellets can be deadly and should be treated with care.
My pistol shoots at around 500 feet per second.
I shoot in my garage or the backyard.
It doesn't make much noise.

http://www.crosman.com/

40hz:
[/url])[/i] Being a coffee fanatic connoisseur,
-40hz (July 05, 2013, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
you too?  I've been trying out the different brew methods for the past 7 years.  I went from drip, to aeropress, to french press.  And now the one I've settled on is the v60 method where you control the water temperature, weight the amount of water and beans, and time the whole thing.  The baristas at the local foo foo shop taught me how to do it, and I do it on the weekends.  Awesome!
-superboyac (July 05, 2013, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I learn something new every day. The V60 method? Hmm...  :huh:

Reminds me of a drastically more precise version of the old Chemex pot method which I've used in the past.

Agree on the water temp and prewashing the filter. It does make a difference. As does pre-wetting the grounds ("puffing" them to use the old Chemex term for it). And the timing - which should never exceed 6 minutes for a brew cycle no matter how large the full pot.

But the precision and the recommended tare weights...now those V60 numbers are definitely something worth experimenting with. In cooking, the top chefs will always tell you "weigh - don't measure ingredients" to get consistently superior results...

Gonna have to look into that V60 thing more closely.  :)

4wd:
I like these pellets with the red polymer tip, I can see which way to put the pellets in the gun.-cmpm (July 06, 2013, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a Gecado Model 35 air rifle, (.22).  Gecado is the trade name for Diana air rifles, quite a few years old now, (40+), sounds like a .22 Long Rifle firing, (PTFE piston head, chrome-moly spring), which means it's probably way over-powered.

Still quite lethal - especially using these:

Prometheus Sabot pellets

Three rabbits, one shot - no problem :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version