ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (45/122) > >>

superboyac:
OK, followup on the cheap chinese TV devices I've been playing with.

The "1080p Media player" by a company called Diyomate is the best device for a tiny thing that will connect to your TV with an HDMI cable and play HD movies from a flash (or any external USB drive).  It does not struggle at all with the playback.  But it doesn't have internet or anything like that.  it is strictly for playing back videos (and audio if you want).

Then there's this MK808b device, which is about the size of a pack of gum.  It is a full Android device.  So if you plug it in with the HDMI cable, it will turn your TV into a "smart" TV.  Meaning it has a wifi internet connection, you can install android apps on it, play back video and audio.  As far as video, it is not very smooth so I don't recommend it for that.  The other one is much better for video playback.  But for internet related activities this thing is great for it's tiny size and cheap price.  Also, you will need to get that RC11 remote so that you can use it as an airmouse and keyboard.  Either that, or some kind of keyboard/mouse combo that can be connected to an android device through usb.  I recommend the RC11, as I tried a couple of other options.  One area that was impossible to get around: pinch zooming.  I don't know how to do this with just a mouse and keyboard.

Now, what's so great about this?  Just because the devices are small and cheap, that's all.  I know those of you that have xbox and playstations can do all this with those things.  But this may be a more convenient option.  Also, people like me that have a full desktop pc connected to a TV will also not be that interested.  So it's just a price/size thing.  Amazing nonetheless.

mouser:
My gadget recommendation for this week is Double-wall drinking glasses, which prevent condensation and help liquids keep their temperature.

The most elegant are these roundish glass Bodum ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Thermo-glass-Pavina-Double-Thermo-Glasses/dp/B00076ZD22
The main drawback is that they are like $14 each and they are so fragile that they break if you drop an ice cube into them the wrong way.

After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Tumbler-Geckos-12-Ounce-Insulated/dp/B003AZZR6E
They are a little cheaper at $9 each and aren't nearly as elegant, but they are functionally the same or better. They are available with different decorations which is nice for guests.

All of these come in multiple sizes and styles.  Highly recommended.

barney:
After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind
-mouser (June 07, 2013, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I quit Bodum after the first glass broke in my grip - had not been aware that my grip was that strong  :o.  As did you, I switched to polycarbonate.  There was a local outlet store that sold them quite cheaply.  Then it got raided, put out of business (they don't allow you to run a commercial warehouse from prison  :tellme:), and I'm not quite ready to put out online prices, even though they're nearly as unbreakable as the advertisements present.

<sidenote>
Not certain I'd want to drink from vessels with lizards or frogs - 'specially anything green or yellow  :-\ :P.
</sidenote>

allen:
After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Tumbler-Geckos-12-Ounce-Insulated/dp/B003AZZR6E
They are a little cheaper at $9 each and aren't nearly as elegant, but they are functionally the same or better. They are available with different decorations which is nice for guests.
-mouser (June 07, 2013, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

When drinking from the polycarbonate, does it feel more like plastic or glass? I like the implied durability but... I really hate drinking from plastic.

barney:
When drinking from the polycarbonate, does it feel more like plastic or glass? I like the implied durability but... I really hate drinking from plastic.
-allen (June 10, 2013, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

For me, neither.  Not a plastic sensation, nor a glass sensation.  Has a feeling all its own, although that could be - probably is  ;) - influenced by my perceptions and knowledge that it ain't glass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version