ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (43/122) > >>

mouser:
After my "bag holder opener" gadget post, DC members ewemoa, app103, and I were brainstorming about ways to use existing kitchen tools to hold open bags more effectively.

I believe we came up with an ideal solution, which is to use some thin flexible plasting cutting mats, and roll them up and place them INSIDE the bag like an expanding tube.

The solution is pretty great because:

* It maximally holds open the bag (this is a huge advantage over the gadget, which only holds open the bag a tiny bit).
* It takes up NO storage space (compared to gadget which does) and requires no setup.
* It is super easy to clean and acts like a funnel.
* Works on any size bag (you could even trim the plastic cutting mat to make a smaller size one for small quart bags.

Tips on buying the flexible cutting mats: Just make sure the ones you buy aren't too brittle (as you will have to roll them up) or completely limp/silicone (as you want them to try to unroll in the bag to provide tension). Some samples on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/CounterArt-Flexible-Non-Skid-Cutting-Assorted/dp/B00337YF7Q
http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

As ewemoa has pointed out, one drawback of this approach is that you have to wash the cutting mat after use.  One alternative would be to use an INNER bag draped over the "tube".  That will work providing the mat is not too oversized.  Of course this will also work if you happen to have a pitcher of the right radius and height -- without need for mat at all.

app103:
After my "bag holder opener" gadget post, DC members ewemoa, app103, and I were brainstorming about ways to use existing kitchen tools to hold open bags more effectively.
-mouser (May 25, 2013, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was a fun game. We need to play it more often! I love brainstorming and "inventing stuff".  ;D

app103:
One of the key things about the digitial scales is that you can zero them out after you put a bowl on them -- the manual ones like the one you have their app make it harder to compensate for weight of container.
-mouser (May 25, 2013, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually the easiest of the issues to deal with. The hardest is keeping the container from sliding off the tiny platform while you do it. Or just sliding off, in general. Then there is the inaccuracy issue.  :(

Tinman57:
Can you people resize your images to sane resolutions? IMO these images don't need to be larger than, say, 800x600 or so. The thumbnails are a bit too small, but the fullsize are just way too huge.

(Didn't notice there was a new page where Stephen actually posted sanely sized images until after I submitted this)  -Deozaan (April 26, 2013, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a forum, 800 X 600 which works out to be approx. 11.11 X 8.33 inches, is still too large.  640 X 480 pixels (8.889 X 6.667 inches) is about the right size.  Of course, this is only MY OPINION!  And we know what those are worth, eh?   :P

barney:
 :two: ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version