ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (13/122) > >>

app103:
One thing that I do is to run steam through it after I've used it. This flushes out anything that has gotten up into the pipes there.
-Renegade (November 24, 2012, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not exactly practical to flush it out after every use when we are talking about a high volume environment that the machine is almost in constant use. It was flushed out every 6 hours, though.

Does skim milk froth better? I tried some different milk, but forget which worked best. I only buy full cream milk now.
-Renegade (November 24, 2012, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Technically, very cold skim milk can be frothed to a level where it resembles whipped cream, using a very powerful hand blender and a good whipping attachment. In fact, this can only be done with skim milk or heavy cream. As far as in an espresso machine, I don't know, but nobody ever complained about it while I was working there.

I only shared this tip in case anybody wanted to know how the "pros" do it with those large expensive commercial quality high-tech automatic espresso machines, how they keep them from getting gunked up to the point of breakage. If using skim milk extends the life of their machines and cuts down on repairs and down time, it should do the same for home equipment, too.

Renegade:
^^ Mine is a small one designed for home use or small, low-volume business use. I used to work at a 5-star restaurant, and this one is better than the one I used there. But that was 25 years ago, and I'm guessing that the durability of that one would be better than mine. (Stuff isn't made like it used to be.)

Flushing only takes about 2~3 seconds though. I'm only turning on the steam. It's not a large, commercial system. So, it sounds like they're not very comparable there. Kind of like a Mack truck and a Chevy pickup.

But I've never been able to get a really good, very thick froth - certainly not like whipped cream. I can get it pretty good, but not like I've had in some cafes. I suppose I just kind of suck at it. Dunno. Could be the system. Could be me.

I might pick up a small carton of skim milk to see if I can manage to get that "whipped cream" texture. I've only been able to get it "thick", but not thick enough to draw in or mold.

app103:
Well, if you want to do it like a real pro, this might help: http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-frothing-milk.html

cranioscopical:
One for the workshop.

Find the relative angle between two surfaces.
Fast, accurate way to set up saw blades and plenty of other things.

Holds with rare-earth magnets, very accurate readout.

app103:
This is the one I have (this color, too): http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-Teakettles-2-Quart-Porcelain/dp/B004WLJAJU/
-app103 (November 24, 2012, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this the very same kettle I linked to on Amazon? Why, yes...yes, it is! Even the same color!

This is a screenshot of an ad that was shown to me on Facebook just moments ago. They are starting to get really creepy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version