ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gadget WEEKENDS

<< < (5/121) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I've carried a leatherman for years. I originally hand the slim one that they gave away for the Marlboro Miles promotion, but I lost the damn thing (left it onsite actually). I currently have the Leatherman Blast.

Interesting bit of trivia...they have a 25 year warranty.

NigelH:
If you're stuck in the past using a stovetop kettle
http://www.amazon.com/s/?&field-keywords=Stovetop+Kettle

Try one of these!!
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289753

I'm really baffled as to why people still use non-electric kettles.

ewemoa:
-NigelH (November 16, 2012, 09:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the water that you heat in an electric kettle?

Renegade:
-NigelH (November 16, 2012, 09:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the water that you heat in an electric kettle?
-ewemoa (November 16, 2012, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Boiled is boiled. No? I'd figure that it's at 96 C, give or take a bit, either on the stove or in an electric kettle.

ewemoa:
Some people like to have their water boiling for a bit (decrease dissolved gases for example), and AFAIU that doesn't necessarily happen so well with some (many?) electric kettles.  IIUC, some (many?) models stop / turn off shortly after reaching 100 C (I've heard but not verified that some don't even reach 100 C) and this is not as effective as boiling (maintaining temperature at 100 C) for longer.  Excuse the inaccuracies for not taking into account pressure and such :)

Plastic electric kettles are a bit of a concern for me too for reasons having to do with heating plastic (too much for too long) that's in contact with a liquid that one is about to ingest.  Non-plastic ones I've looked for tend to be a bit less safe because of pilot error (unwariness leading to skin contacting heated metal) -- on a stove top for just the period of boiling I am more wary than when an electric kettle is sitting on a tea table for longer periods.  I'm an ex-user.

Just trying to point out here that depending on what you want to do with the water (in my own case it's green tea preparation) and what sort of water you get, the type of kettle may make a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version