ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)

<< < (3/18) > >>

Giampy:
Windows 8 is too young. It's probably still full of bugs.
It’s a little mad buying immediately a new OS. It’s wise instead waiting for some years before buying it, so in the meantime many bugs will be fixed.

MilesAhead:
One thing I presume they'll bring in in SP1 is the option to boot to the desktop (I find it ludicrous that the option is not already there).

--- End quote ---

I haven't had a look at it, other than screen shots on the web. From people's comments though, it sounds like it should be a hand-held/tablet only OS. I mean they just bailed out of the Vista fiasco with a big W7 success so they immediately scuttle it?

Probably some real dick came out on top of the corporate infighting.. rather than some brilliant "design decision" is my guess. :)

ewemoa:
Possibly handy?

The Start Screen is full of nice, big, chunky tiles that represent all your apps. The tiles are easy to see in small groups, but what if you have hundreds of apps installed? Most will be hidden from view, unless you want to do a lot of scrolling. Enter the new semantic zoom feature. If you’re using a touch display, squeeze the Start screen with two fingers to receive a bird’s eye view of your entire screen contents. And the feature is also available to mouse and keyboard users: Simply hold down the Ctrl button, and use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to do this with just the keyboard...

via https://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html

ewemoa:
One thing I presume they'll bring in in SP1 is the option to boot to the desktop (I find it ludicrous that the option is not already there).
-tomos (November 16, 2012, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Along similar lines:

One of biggest complaints about Windows 8 is that it boots straight to the Start screen—an annoyance for many committed desktop users. ... you can actually boot straight to the desktop without installing anything extra.

Go to the start screen and type in "schedule" to search for Schedule Task in Settings. Click on Task Scheduler Library to the left, and select Create Task. Name your task something like "Boot to desktop." Now select the Triggers tab, choose New, and use the drop-down box to select starting the task "At log on." Click OK and go to the Actions tab, choose New, and enter "explorer" for the Program/Script value.

Press OK, save the task, and restart to test it out!

--- End quote ---

via https://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html?page=4

ewemoa:
Not sure for what contexts the following applies, but FWIW:

... only allow you to install trusted (that is, digitally signed) apps from the Windows store.

--- End quote ---

To work around it:

Launch GPEdit.msc (...), browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment, double-click 'Allow all trusted apps to install' and select Enabled > OK.

--- End quote ---

via http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets-1028220/3#articleContent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version