ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Anti-spyware.

<< < (3/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Microsoft Security Essentials + MBAM Pro - great team, effective and cheap (free plus one off license)

Never found AdAware to be much good and Spybot doesn't seem to have been updated in years (version 1.6.2 has been out for as long as I remember).

I am amazed people are still using MacAfee and Norton - Iwouldn't let either of them with a mile of my systems. I spend too much time cleaning up messes that they haven't caught and their business practices (such as setting up regular payments without asking - or even when you specifically say no - and then hiking the price year on year is bordering on criminal behaviour). I almost consider both to be a scam - especially they way they appear ubiquitously on almost every new computer.

If you don't want to use MSE and want to pay for an antivirus try the paid for versions of AVAST or Avira.

RachelBuzz:
I use Unthreat Antivirus and I'm happy with it. I haven't had a virus since I downloaded it and it doesn't slow down my system.

SQUIDMAN:
I also run, "SpybotS&D" it finds stuff AVG misses. Also don't like it's tea timer software. Run Iorbits AV and realtime scanner. Also Mircosofts AV Software.

Carol Haynes:
Is Spybot still updated - the software has been at v. 1.6.2 for years

J-Mac:
Carol, I once used Norton back when not much else was available. (Remember then?!) Then I stopped using it for everything when they changed Norton SystemWorks from a fairly light utilities package to a massive (in size), intrusive, multi-headed beast. I believe that the last year I had that installed was around 2001 or 2002. I believe it was the 2004 version that it really bloated up and became a monster - to me anyway.

Regarding Anti-Virus, I had settled on using NOD32 for a number of years but finally gave up on them. They pushed me endlessly to go with their System Security or whatever their all-in-one "solution" is called instead of using just the AV as I do. Also, when I got up to five licenses and was going crazy with five different expiration dates they refused to let me combine all five into one license. Eset doesn’t give you any warning when a license is expiring; it is up to you to keep looking at the expiration date on their UI - or at least that's how it was at the time. I set up reminders of my own to remind me when to renew, but it just became a pain for no good reason. I finally quit on them last year and tried MSE. MSE isn't terrible and it has the benefit of being free, but you really give up most customization AFAICT. I couldn't setup the exclusions I wanted and after losing my Nirsift stuff for about the fourth time I unloaded MSE. I finally decided to try a year of Norton AV - just the AV and not the full security package - and found it to be a decent surprise. The installation was done literally in seconds and didn't require a restart, which surprised me. And during the past year it has run quietly in the background, allows me a lot of latitude in customization, and does its scanning automatically only when the computer is idle. I do know that upgrading an existing license is still prohibitive with Symantec! That hasn’t changed! However it is easy enough to purchase another new license at Amazon or Newegg and then just enter the new key and the subscription is extended for that period - one, two, or three years or more depending on what you purchase.

So even though I too had sworn off Norton products at one time, this one is welcome to stay until it does something deserving of banishment again.   :)

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version