ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I need some help configuring Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

<< < (2/2)

Daleus:
JavaJones:

The issue is most evident when typing keywords into "tag" like fields. Sorry, I don't have the LR nomenclature down.

On further questioning, she sees performance issues in other areas too - a general slowdown when compared to LR3.

She has been busy rebuilding previews and caches, two suggestions from the user forum at Adobe. Her co-worker is much more computer literate and also has some strategies to try and smooth out her work flow. He uses the program on a Mac at work and on a PC at home, and while he says the program is slower than previous versions, he hasn't had the performance issues she has had.

I have also added a number of file exceptions to the virus checker that could be part of the problem. As I understand it, when updating metadata there are several files that get updated and not just one, so the exceptions will hopefully eliminate any interference from the anti-virus program. In fact, the behaviour seems very much in line with that sort of file access.

Carol Haynes:

Yeah, we've checked for and installed the latest drivers for all components in her computer.

Another question that I have not been able to find an answer to, has to do with buffered vs. unbuffered RAM.

In an attempt to alleviate RAM issues, the machine was upgraded from 4 to 12 GBs of RAM, previous to my involvement.  I have noticed that the original 4G is unbuffered RAM, vs. the 8GB added on which is buffered RAM.

My question is, is mixing the two types fatal? If not, should one type precede the other?  In bygone days, it was said that slower RAM had to be installed so that it was accessed before faster RAM, to avoid problems.

Thanks for pitching in with suggestions on how to proceed!

Carol Haynes:
I would check to see what kinds of RAM the computer actually supports. Look on the motherboard manufacturer's website for details and a manual.

Stoic Joker:
Why not fire up Performance Monitor so you can see (either logged or realtime) how much of what is being run out of when.

JavaJones:
Hmm, odd that it freezes typing into text fields. I would definitely try to do some performance profiling while testing that specific issue. The A/V could easily be causing it, or some other active monitoring process (backup, search indexing, etc, etc.), but only by monitoring CPU + file accesses are probably going to be able to tell. Also far as I know the meta data changes aren't immediately written to disk, so it seems odd it would slow things down *right as you're typing*. Is there any global text-related software installed/active, such as a system-wide spell checker, text expander, multi-language switcher, etc?

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version