ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two classes of membership here?

<< < (14/15) > >>

40hz:
The principle of the statement remains true that any new comer exposed to a hint of a nice senior cop-bad subcop can't be blamed for calling out an observation whose hints are common all across forums.
-Paul Keith (November 18, 2012, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming there are such "cops."

I've seen very little administration or moderation here beyond an occasional mild reminder to not get personal and stay on topic.

If individual members take issue with something, there's not much to be said except: "That's life." When annoyed by something, some people feel hurt, some walk away, and some push back. That's pretty much the way human society works when dealing with personal conflict. Something most people eventually realize and subsequently moderate their behaviors in recognition of. And DoCo, being part of human society, is no exception.

I'm very much in favor of extending every courtesy to a newcomer and granting them the benefit of the doubt. However, I also expect people to reciprocate when that happens - and be willing to accept that a similar courtesy requirement exists on their side. And said reciprocal courtesy includes such things as accepting an apology when one is offered for a mistake made in the past - and allowing bygones to be bygones. To not do so is rude. As is continuing to try to get the last word in on something when the rest of the community has already moved on to more worthwhile topics.

So if it's true that it isn't all about us, it's also true it shouldn't be all about any individual either.

I guess I'm old fashioned enough to still believe that groups have rights, even if that belief does fly in the face of our current obsession with focusing almost exclusively on "exceptions," "entitlements," and "individual needs."

Which is probably why I go out of my way not to be "in charge of things" most times.

I'm a dinosaur. ;)
 :)

wraith808:
^ Well said!  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Perhaps the thing we are most guilty of on this forum is beating meta discussions to death  ;D
Can we begin to wind this one down now?

40hz:
^I'm out.  8)

vrgrrl:
Hear hear Mouser!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version