ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two classes of membership here?

<< < (12/15) > >>

40hz:
@Mouser - FWIW, some places with auto-spammer systems I'm familiar with have have introduced a semi-obligatory "come say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself" first post request - and require some non-privacy invading info in the user profile be filled in. Supposedly this goes a very long way towards intercepting many of the more clever bots and spammers we're seeing.

People who don't introduce themselves first get watched fairly closely (and occasionally moderated) for their first several posts. People who don't put meaningful answers in the very few required profile spaces get e-mailed back and reminded to do so to gain posting privileges. Usually a spammer or bot won't provide a real e-mail address.

mouser:
I think with the new system we have in place, which alerts us when people change their profiles or edit posts to include spam, we have a pretty good way to spot spammers, and I'd rather not add additional hurdles for new posters to jump through.

This was simply a case where a moderator jumped the gun and should have more carefully read the posts and given the benefit of the doubt to the poster.  With our new alert system it's not a big deal if we don't catch a potential spammer right away so we can afford to be less trigger-happy.

I think the better solution is as I said earlier, a clear notice to users whose accounts have been banned about what has happened and a way to contact us if we are wrong.  Many of us, if we found ourselves suddenly banned for spamming a forum that we didn't spam on, would contact the forum and say "wtf?!!!!"  but I can understand that some people would just walk away angry.  We can't guarantee that premature banning will never happen again, but we can make it much easier for people to contact us in such a case.

wraith808:
That's what the lapdogs are for: nice senior cop, bad sub-cops: the work is done, and that's what counts.
-clean (November 17, 2012, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually... not.  I actually totally agree with a lot of the bad sub-cops and think that certain things should be regulated.  In every case (not just a few that come to light because of dissenters), Mouser chimes in on the side of let it slide, no matter what happens.  That's why everyone jumped in on mouser's side- no matter if you agree or disagree on his policies, etc., he won't censor nor jump in, except in the case of spam, and won't even really defend, other than the most passive of ways.  People that lead by example like that, and don't take offense tend to garner support as they don't cross the line even to defend themselves.

Sorry if your experience has made you assume otherwise, but he's very much always been the voice of reason.  I've found myself on the other side of some of his opinions, and found myself less for that- mostly because in the end, reason used well is more than a match for any sort of righteous indignation.

cmpm:
Well, I think there is a little responsibility on the banned poster to make it right too.
If the person wants to make it right.
The administrator's email is easy enough to find.

Renegade:
My very first post here could well have been considered spam if I had not written it like I did.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=896.0

Hello Zaine (and all),

First, just to be clear, my name is Ryan Smyth and I'm the ALTools Evangelist at ESTsoft. But maybe ALVangelist sounds better~!  :o   I also maintain the ALTools English web site at http://www.altools.net (and a lot of other things too).

...-Renegade (September 13, 2005, 12:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

(Just FYI - I no longer work for ESTsoft.)

First posts are always touchy simply because there are so many spammers out there trying to game the system. They really ruin it for people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version