ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (3/19) > >>

allen:
It can actually be a pretty great music player too, especially if you buy into their subscription model. Unfortunately while Zune and WP7 + Zune (for PC) had industry-best podcast support, podcasts kind of suck with WP8. I sincerely hope that's not a shift of priority indicative of the future but more "we ran out of time, it's coming" thing. . . we'll see. I guess podcasts aren't as important to me as they once were. . . maybe they're ahead of the curve on that.

Entirely unimportant, but what color phone did you get?

superboyac:
Allen, you got me thinking, you basterd!!

The people that are going to be very happy with the Androids and iphones are those who will do most of their computing on their phone.  This means they are far from being computer geeks.  Then there are the geeks, and they fall into two camps for the most part: Windows geeks, Linux geeks.  I'm a Windows geek, but if not for the popularity factor, I'm a linux geek at heart.  Linux geeks are not going to be satisfied with any phone offering out there, including this windows phone.  Too commercial, too much money, too much polish, not enough substance, too many ways to get people paying for monthly subscriptions, apps, what not.  I actually think that Android is currently better suited for the Linux geek AND the windows geek.  Now, if you're a windows FAN than you'll be fine with the windows phone.  i even think that currently the iphone is also better suited for the linux and windows geeks.  But this all remains to be seen what people are able to do with this new phone the next 6 months.

and also, i have to add, i don't even really care anymore.  i'm not mad, i get it...whatever.

superboyac:
It can actually be a pretty great music player too, especially if you buy into their subscription model. Unfortunately while Zune and WP7 + Zune (for PC) had industry-best podcast support, podcasts kind of suck with WP8. I sincerely hope that's not a shift of priority indicative of the future but more "we ran out of time, it's coming" thing. . . we'll see. I guess podcasts aren't as important to me as they once were. . . maybe they're ahead of the curve on that.

Entirely unimportant, but what color phone did you get?
-allen (November 14, 2012, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Black.  i couldn't stomach the other colors.  If anything, I might have gotten the matte cyan, but geez, other than black and gray, there aren't any low-profile colors.  if there was a matte brown color, I'd have gotten that.  I think brown is classy.  Because my skin is brown.

allen:
It's all gotten really weird. Android is the obvious (only?) go-to for a true Linux geek. It is to mobile computing what old "Windows Mobile" was. Meanwhile, Windows Phone might be a better fit for true iPhone users than the iPhone--it's both simpler AND prettier. iPhone is perhaps best suited for only the most dedicated of Apple fans.

Windows Phone doesn't appeal to any sort of geek, inherently -- it's just nice and tied tightly to the cloud. Pretty damn pop. I'm a geek, but I like my tri-corder to be bubble gum.

(What I love about Windows 8 is it totally appeals to BOTH wholly. Oh I wish I could afford a Surface with RT... donations please! :)

allen:
The original Zune came in brown, it was lovely! While I'm partial to matte, I really like the "storm trooper" white -- which I'm now into 2 phones deep.

Also, if you don't have a wireless charger yet--get one. I learned this a couple years ago with WebOS--fucking magic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version