ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (17/19) > >>

allen:
There haven't been any WP8 updates yet, just Nokia updates as far as I can tell. Maybe those helped battery life, though... my observation has been that out of the box the battery indicator is insane. My phone would be 100% for hours, then suddenly much less. After a week or so it became sane and battery life is perfectly acceptable (good even) for an often used smart phone.

I do have a couple complaints -- the hole for the speaker (where your ear goes for the calls) isn't sealed, apparently. There's a bunch of dust in my front facing camera's cavity.  I don't think it has any effect on the picture (yet) but given time, I'm sure it will. It kind of bugs me. On the bright side I absolutely never (ever) use the front facing camera, so my annoyance is more on principle.

My other issue is the proximity censor -- it's way too sensitive. I've found that more often than not, once I'm on a call I cannot get the screen to stay on. That makes it really tough (impossible) to use the keypad when dealing with an automated system. I don't know if that's the result of dust getting in the sensor area or if it's a software thing.  I haven't really tested it since the last updates from Nokia, so it's possible it's been fixed... rather than test it, I'm just going to sit here and be hopeful. Sure beats being disappointed. :)

superboyac:
There haven't been any WP8 updates yet, just Nokia updates as far as I can tell. Maybe those helped battery life, though... my observation has been that out of the box the battery indicator is insane. My phone would be 100% for hours, then suddenly much less. After a week or so it became sane and battery life is perfectly acceptable (good even) for an often used smart phone.

I do have a couple complaints -- the hole for the speaker (where your ear goes for the calls) isn't sealed, apparently. There's a bunch of dust in my front facing camera's cavity.  I don't think it has any effect on the picture (yet) but given time, I'm sure it will. It kind of bugs me. On the bright side I absolutely never (ever) use the front facing camera, so my annoyance is more on principle.

My other issue is the proximity censor -- it's way too sensitive. I've found that more often than not, once I'm on a call I cannot get the screen to stay on. That makes it really tough (impossible) to use the keypad when dealing with an automated system. I don't know if that's the result of dust getting in the sensor area or if it's a software thing.  I haven't really tested it since the last updates from Nokia, so it's possible it's been fixed... rather than test it, I'm just going to sit here and be hopeful. Sure beats being disappointed. :)
-allen (December 07, 2012, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think your description of the battery life is accurate.  it might be just a display thing...ignoring that, ultimately, it's like most smartphones I've seen.  With a screen this big, your phone is not going to last 2 days with a lot of usage.  My charging pad should arrive soon, I'll have that placed at work and should take care of the any battery inconveniences.

Not disappointed at all...just describing the details of the phone, hope it's helpful to others in their decision making.  It's a good phone.  I recently checked out the other flagship model, HTC 8X, and it is sooooo much lighter.  I tend to like heavy things, but just fyi to others.  The HTC feels like nothing in the hand, the 920 is quite heavy.  To make an analogy, the 920 feels like the old iphones, and the 8X feels like the new iphone 5.

allen:
Now there's an OS update out, at least on AT&T. Highlights include: from Nokia improved battery metering, sharper photos; from Microsoft  the option to have WiFi always on and SMS drafts. The auto brightness setting seems to be a bit more dynamic too.

superboyac:
Now there's an OS update out, at least on AT&T. Highlights include: from Nokia improved battery metering, sharper photos; from Microsoft  the option to have WiFi always on and SMS drafts. The auto brightness setting seems to be a bit more dynamic too.
-allen (December 20, 2012, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
just got it, thanks.  i'll be picking up my charging pad tomorrow as well.

superboyac:
I got the Nokia wireless charger.  It's pretty cool.  You just place the phone on the pad and it charges, pretty quickly too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version