ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sign of the times for OpenSource software?

<< < (4/11) > >>

Tuxman:
Most "professional FLOSS software" lacks a good QA. At least the software I tried so far.

mahesh2k:
Often the question is why use a Porche when a Volkswagen will do the same job?
--- End quote ---

Very good question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't want single desktop to dominate, be it linux (unix or whatever), apple and windows. Some people have specific demands from the OS and apps and all they need is getting work done. Some people want to show off and they have specific needs just for that. Let them be but if we lose the freedom to innovate, we are basically living in digital slave era. As for quality, many paid products are priced because developer wants to earn money for development and not because it has quality. This is the reason W8 was not well received. It was odd balance for quality vs experience.

As this capitalism monster will become more hungry eventually will create a lot of opportunity for open source and free software. Nobody in their right mind has resources to keep feeding the capitalism mentality.

I am learning Rails framework these days and noticed that like rails many other open source and free languages or framework has quality. Same applies to softwares built over them. But this doesn't seem to apply to .NET or paid framework world. It may be easy or letting you get things done but it is not quality which we compare with many variables which includes productivity, labor costs and efficiency etc etc. That's my opinion.

Renegade:
I don't think "capitalism" is the problem.

We do not live in a "capitalist" world. We live in a "corporatists" and fascist world. Big difference.

40hz:
I could provide a link to a similar rant about LibreOffice in favor of SoftMaker Office, but it is in German...-Tuxman (November 09, 2012, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer Softmaker Office myself. :Thmbsup:  But that's probably because I thought Word 2000 was the best general purpose WP ever, and that this software category has been going downhill ever since. To me S.O. feels like Word2k. That's enough for me to buy a copy or six.

Generally I find myself replacing FLOSS by proprietary software rather often as FLOSS disappoints me in terms of quality.
--- End quote ---

In my case, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Or vice-versa. There's a saying that 90% of everything is crap. ANd software is no exception from what I've seen.

The only exception is Firefox. Yet.

--- End quote ---

Hope that was a joke. Because I can't stand what they've been doing with Firefox lately. If I didn't have three extensions I'd prefer not to live without I'd be using something else by now.

Not that the workable alternatives are that much better IMO. :(

40hz:
I don't think "capitalism" is the problem.

We do not live in a "capitalist" world. We live in a "corporatists" and fascist world. Big difference.
-Renegade (November 09, 2012, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes indeed.

Capitalist will put you in jail or let you starve to death.

Corpo-fascists will destroy your life or murder you outright.
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version