ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (15/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Microsoft Vista made me really resent Microsoft in a way I never had before, purely because of their treatment of Vista Ultimate! Vista Ultimate, while costing a couple hundred more than the other editions, gave me nothing more than the Business or Pro versions, except for the promise of what were supposed to be some fantastic "Windows Vista Ultimate Extras" - which were never released! Oh, wait a minute: they actually DID release some extra language packs and a few "Ultimate Only" wallpapers. That was it. The rest of the Ultimate Extras were dropped and they quietly ended the Vista Ultimate life in early 2012. Quickest End-of-Life in Microsoft history.
-J-Mac (January 26, 2013, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

The joke is they didn't learn and still released Windows 7 ultimate - which didn't even get the wallpapers!

40hz:
I'm more concerned with data access speeds and programs opening and closing since I'm in and out of things constantly with what I do.
-40hz (January 25, 2013, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

One acronym: SSD.  With backups, of course.
-skwire (January 25, 2013, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah...been looking at those. (Installed a few for clients already. The reliability experiences were definitely mixed.) I'm going to give SSD another 6 to 12 months to mature further before I'll seriously consider it for my own use. Right now the benefits don't outweigh the risks enough for me. YMMV.
 :)

f0dder:
40hz: as someone who has had two SSDs (including an enterprise Intel one) go belly-up, I'd still say they're totally worth it. You do need a very good backup scheme, but you ought to have that anyway, so hey :)

Josh:
Running an i3/6GB of RAM and I have not noticed this to be the issue. This laptop currently has a full load of office, kaspersky A/V 2013, VS 2010 and several other tools. I am to a desktop in about 12 seconds after boot and login with approximately 14 start-up processes.
-Josh (January 25, 2013, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

The startup/shutdown times aren't that big a deal to me. But I don't reboot a lot.

I'm more concerned with data access speeds and programs opening and closing since I'm in and out of things constantly with what I do. I should probably shrink my tookit down and just leave everything open. Different OS - different workflow, right?
 :)

-40hz (January 25, 2013, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely so. I do not see any slowdowns, minus a small one when I installed Kaspersky, when opening files or programs. Everything is still fairly snappy. Office 2013 programs open in about 1-3 seconds, depending on the size of the file being opened (I have some VERY large powerpoint slideshows).

Darwin:
Just upgraded my father's netbook (Win7 Pro 64-bit with 4GB RAM and and a low energy Intel single core processor - not an Atom, can't recall the name U something?) and the difference is night and day. Office 2010 programs open immediately and boot times are down to around 30 seconds. Impressive for a 3+ year old netbook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version