ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (14/16) > >>

40hz:
Running an i3/6GB of RAM and I have not noticed this to be the issue. This laptop currently has a full load of office, kaspersky A/V 2013, VS 2010 and several other tools. I am to a desktop in about 12 seconds after boot and login with approximately 14 start-up processes.
-Josh (January 25, 2013, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

The startup/shutdown times aren't that big a deal to me. But I don't reboot a lot.

I'm more concerned with data access speeds and programs opening and closing since I'm in and out of things constantly with what I do. I should probably shrink my tookit down and just leave everything open. Different OS - different workflow, right?
 :)

skwire:
I'm more concerned with data access speeds and programs opening and closing since I'm in and out of things constantly with what I do.
-40hz (January 25, 2013, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

One acronym: SSD.  With backups, of course.

Darwin:
Hi all - I noticed the same thing: Win8 started out considerably faster than Win7 on the same notebook hardware (T9300 Core 2 Duo at 2.5Ghz, 4Gb RAM, and a 7200 rpm 320GB HD) and then over time it slowed down, not to former Win7 levels, but close. I cloned the harddrive to a 240GB SSD and it's been blazing fast in every respect since. Now, I do expect this setup to slow down over time, but not to the levels I saw pre-SSD...

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, sounding like a broken record, this is a cousin thread to the "who is on XP" one. Staying with Win 7 should be CAKE. It's only one OS back and none of that "discontinuing" nonsense should apply. No dev anywhere should be dropping support for Win 7!

J-Mac:
Microsoft Vista made me really resent Microsoft in a way I never had before, purely because of their treatment of Vista Ultimate! Vista Ultimate, while costing a couple hundred more than the other editions, gave me nothing more than the Business or Pro versions, except for the promise of what were supposed to be some fantastic "Windows Vista Ultimate Extras" - which were never released! Oh, wait a minute: they actually DID release some extra language packs and a few "Ultimate Only" wallpapers. That was it. The rest of the Ultimate Extras were dropped and they quietly ended the Vista Ultimate life in early 2012. Quickest End-of-Life in Microsoft history.

Never again for me.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version