ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (13/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have already noticed Win 8 slowing down on my laptop. Doesn't seem much faster than Windows 7 to a working desktop.

Don't have much installed and all my data is on a separate partition.

Granted it is quick to the tiled interface and that works as soon as it has loaded but I have used Start8 to boot directly to the desktop and I don't think I am noticing any huge imporvement - especially as it is a clean install which is only about 1 month old.

40hz:
I have already noticed Win 8 slowing down on my laptop. Doesn't seem much faster than Windows 7 to a working desktop.

Don't have much installed and all my data is on a separate partition.

Granted it is quick to the tiled interface and that works as soon as it has loaded but I have used Start8 to boot directly to the desktop and I don't think I am noticing any huge imporvement - especially as it is a clean install which is only about 1 month old.
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2013, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I noticed that too but thought I might be imagining things...

If anything, once Office and some other (all Microsoft) software got loaded following a fresh install of Win8 it seemed to become slightly sluggish on the the Core-2 Duo (T7250/2Ghz/800mhz w/4Gb RAM) laptop I've currently got it on. After a few MS winupdates it seemed to feel even more sluggish. Which is funny because Linux Mint with Cinnamon is very peppy running on the same box.

I'll be putting Win8 on an i3/8Gb RAM laptop shortly for another extended tryout. Or will as soon as the new drive (WD Scorpio Black 750Gb) I ordered arrives. Hopefully it will feel snappier with that combo and the faster disk.

Carol Haynes:
Yep Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM here too.

Josh:
Running an i3/6GB of RAM and I have not noticed this to be the issue. This laptop currently has a full load of office, kaspersky A/V 2013, VS 2010 and several other tools. I am to a desktop in about 12 seconds after boot and login with approximately 14 start-up processes.

f0dder:
Haven't noticed slowdown either - only thing that's become slower is the crap enterprise Adobe software I work with daily, but a from-scratch-nuke-data reinstall helped.

Also, NTFS does fragment a bit faster than other modern filesystems, defragmenting (with a proper tool) can definitely help in some situations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version