ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (12/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Agree that Windows 8 doesn't really bring anything to the table (hence my no need to upgrade comment) but don't feel that there is a compelling reason to downgrade when buying a new computer with 8 preinstalled. Seriously, on the same equipment, 8 boots much more quickly than 7 did... I was pleased when after extensive tinkering my 4 year old Gateway laptop booted Windows 7 in under 3 minutes. It boots Windows 8 in about 30 seconds and is MUCH peppier overall, so it follows that from a performance perspective downgrading new hardware to 7 would be a step backward (though granted, on newer equipment the difference migth be measureable only in tenths of a second).
-Darwin (November 14, 2012, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Trouble is that all operating systems slow with time. I remember how fast Win 7 was at booting when I first installed it - now it takes ages.

Give Windows 8 a year and I bet it won't be booting in 30 seconds.

40hz:
Trouble is that all operating systems slow with time.
-Carol Haynes (November 15, 2012, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW I haven't noticed that to be the general case with most nix-based operating systems. They either start off slow and stay slow (usually due to improper initial configuration or poor driver support) or they remain reasonably peppy. YMMV
 ;)

Darwin:
Just to note, my installation started out with Vista 64-bit, I did an inplace upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit and then an inplace upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit. So, while I agree that OS installs slow down over time due to crud accumulation, my system has over 150 programs installed, and my Windows 8 install inherited that. Now, I do expect it to slow over time, but not too drastically as my software selection is fairly stable and I've weaned myself off the obsessive upgrade path.

tomos:
I'm very impressed by how fast win 8 can boot - and close down. Admittedly I have very little software installed and very little starting with windows, but this is way faster than a clean win7 install - I remember being impressed by that being around the 30 second mark.
I just booted Win8 in well under 10 seconds, and that involved me clicking on the login page (dont currently have a password).

dr_andus:
I could see their prices drop after (or even before) Christmas, but then who knows, if Win8 turns out to be a disaster, could scarcity start driving up prices of Win7 machines fairly soon?
-dr_andus (November 08, 2012, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, the price for Win7 Home Premium retail package did not drop, at least in the UK. On Amazon UK back in November the price was around GBP118-ish, today it's GBP139. So the price seems to be climbing upwards quite significantly. Draw your own conclusions  ;)

I wish I bought it then...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version