ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (11/16) > >>

40hz:
Curious thought - what happens if this scenario happens when Windows 9 is released? Is MS really going to allow OEMs to restrict future MS upgrades?
-Carol Haynes (November 12, 2012, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny. That crossed my mind too. I think they might float some trial balloons to see if they can. But I don't think it will fly. Probably be a Pyhrric victory at best if they actually can get away with it.

(BTW - somebody tell Ballmer & Co. they have to get busy! Better toggle 'troll mode' and start suing the living daylights out of kernal.org, the FSF and the Linux Foundation before too many people figure out the obvious. Hey Steve? Don't wait a second longer. Do it today.)

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

Darwin:
Don't know what people are in such a lather about.
-Darwin (November 12, 2012, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

The issue is that it brings nothing new to the table. It's 99.9% change merely for the sake of change. That, and to start the process of slowly moving Microsoft's customer base over to a company app store/closed ecosystem like Apple has.

If that doesn't put you in a lather, you're exactly the sort of customer Microsoft is looking for - and no harm done. For the rest of us, it's a seriously BFD - and we want no part of it as it currently stands.
 ;D
-40hz (November 12, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK point taken. I've looked in the Windows Store but haven't given it much thought. My gut understanding is that this is more an issue with Windows RT and Windows Phone and not Windows Pro?

Agree that Windows 8 doesn't really bring anything to the table (hence my no need to upgrade comment) but don't feel that there is a compelling reason to downgrade when buying a new computer with 8 preinstalled. Seriously, on the same equipment, 8 boots much more quickly than 7 did... I was pleased when after extensive tinkering my 4 year old Gateway laptop booted Windows 7 in under 3 minutes. It boots Windows 8 in about 30 seconds and is MUCH peppier overall, so it follows that from a performance perspective downgrading new hardware to 7 would be a step backward (though granted, on newer equipment the difference migth be measureable only in tenths of a second).

dr_andus:
Have you turned off UAC just to see if they work?  Perhaps it's that interaction that's causing the problem.  Not sure... but this just interests me, and I don't have anything like it to test.
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have now turned UAC off. It resulted in some improvement for some software, and not for others. Outline 4D now recognises my text expander app, so it seems some kind of a barrier was removed. However, Paintshop Pro 8 still crashes, when I try to crop an image. I will try the emulator route next.

40hz:
OK point taken.
-Darwin (November 14, 2012, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

@D - thanks for taking my comment in the spirit it was intended. :)

BTW - regarding performance, Win 8 is not that bad. As an OS it's middling decent. But my problem with Win 8 isn't with it as an OS. My problem is that it's no longer just that. It's now the linchpin in a larger overall strategy to move the population away from open standards and general purpose computers to a completely closed data appliance. It's a giant step backwards to 1960 when Sperry-Rand and IBM controlled just about everything related to computing.

To me it's not so much the greed and power trip Microsoft is on that I object to. It's the abandonment of an ideal. This move represents a betrayal of all the work everybody Microsoft ever rode in on the coattails of - and who made possible most of what power and wealth Microsoft enjoys today. It's a betrayal of the social contract. To me it feels almost like the ending of Orwell's book Animal Farm where the animals can no longer tell the difference between their old oppressors and their new masters.

Like all of Napoleon's speeches, it was short and to the point. He too, he said, was happy that the period of misunderstanding was at an end. For a long time there had been rumours-circulated, he had reason to think, by some malignant enemy-that there was something subversive and even revolutionary in the outlook of himself and his colleagues. They had been credited with attempting to stir up rebellion among the animals on neighbouring farms. Nothing could be further from the truth! Their sole wish, now and in the past, was to live at peace and in normal business relations with their neighbours.
There was the same hearty cheering as before, and the mugs were emptied to the dregs. But as the animals outside gazed at the scene, it seemed to them that some strange thing was happening. What was it that had altered in the faces of the pigs? Clover's old dim eyes flitted from one face to another. Some of them had five chins, some had four, some had three. But what was it that seemed to be melting and changing? Then, the applause having come to an end, the company took up their cards and continued the game that had been interrupted, and the animals crept silently away.

But they had not gone twenty yards when they stopped short. An uproar of voices was coming from the farmhouse. They rushed back and looked through the window again. Yes, a violent quarrel was in progress. There were shoutings, bangings on the table, sharp suspicious glances, furious denials. The source of the trouble appeared to be that Napoleon and Mr. Pilkington had each played an ace of spades simultaneously.

Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

--- End quote ---

But maybe that's just me. :huh:

BCHOWDHURY:
If you don't mind missing the start menu, Windows 8 is way better than Windows 7. You have to get used to desktop full of icons. No one is missing Windows 7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version