ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (10/16) > >>

4wd:
Thanks for this.-dr_andus (November 12, 2012, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I updated my original post to point to a more recent, (2012), article that was referred to in the first comment of the TechRepublic link.

I looked at the websites of Mware Workstation and VirtualBox. The former looks like an enterprise-type software, an overkill for a singe person, while the latter looked more like for everyday Joe (i.e. like me). Did I get that right?-dr_andus (November 12, 2012, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's also the free VMLite XP Mode which is a faster equivalent of XP Mode, I use it on an W7x64 computer to run one old program - seems to work reasonably seamlessly, it uses the XP Mode image supplied by Microsoft for installation.

You end up with a shortcut for your old program in the Start menu/Desktop, when you run it the VM is started, (bit of extra delay naturally), and then your program opens its window the same as a normal program would.

app103:
Adobe Acrobat 6 and Paint Shop Pro Versions X and earlier will not run properly, or at all, under Windows 7.
-xtabber (November 12, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is why I would run XP or an older version of Windows in a VM. I am not willing to give up my beloved PSP7 for any reason.

dr_andus:
@4wd - This is great stuff, thank you very much!

P.S. I can understand the desire to upgrade to the latest version of Windows when buying new hardware, in the hope of increased speed and stability (which is why I upgraded to Win7 and I'm very happy about that decision). However, it's a fallacy that newer software in general is better software.

All the high-speed forced innovation that is taking place right now (especially in the smartphone/tablet app world) means that a lot of software gets "innovated" into self-destruction, either being loaded with useless bells and whistles or having sophisticated features removed to create appeal to the widest possible consumer base, abandoning the needs of early adopter power users. And some software development just stops, so you don't have a choice but have to run it in older OS mode.

I think there will be more and more old software that people will want to hold on to, increasing the need to run older versions of OS's.

As for Win8, I have no desire to have a desktop monitor with a touch screen (it just doesn't make sense to me ergonomically), so I see no point of upgrading at all (especially if it's Win7 under the hood).

dr_andus:
And has Microsoft's Win8 guy just abandoned ship?  ;)

(BTW, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Windows hater or anything, in fact I love Win7. I'm just not interested in a Surface tablet or a touchscreen monitor.)

40hz:
Yet another problem with where Win8 wants us to go today...

- This OSnews.com article is primarily about Apple's app store, but it notes the same problem is now being seen in the new Microsoft app store:

Rampant abuse of push notifications
posted by Thom Holwerda   on Mon 12th Nov 2012 23:01

"The abuse of push notifications [http://blog.anylistapp.com/2012/11/push-notifications/] is spreading across the App Store. As a result, users are starting to reflexively reject app requests to send push notifications. I always allow apps to send me push notifications, just so I can see what other app developers are doing. Here is a collection of valueless, invasive, and annoying push notifications that I've received recently." Perfect illustration of why one of the usual arguments for strongly curated application stores - quality control - is, as it stands now, pure nonsense...
--- End quote ---

Link to full article here.

When you let others speak for you - you get what you ask for. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version