ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (9/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I'll see how I get on - if it's a disaster, I'll downgrade. If I just dont like it, I'll get another copy of Windows 7, in case.
I guess that qualifies as my Win7 strategy.
-tomos (November 12, 2012, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting to see if you can downgrade if you want to. What happens if the BIOS is locked (as MS specifies to OEMs) without the ability to unlock it (which MS say is at the OEM's discretion)?

Curious thought - what happens if this scenario happens when Windows 9 is released? Is MS really going to allow OEMs to restrict future MS upgrades?

xtabber:
Adobe Acrobat 6 and Paint Shop Pro Versions X and earlier will not run properly, or at all, under Windows 7.

A lot of older software will not run under Windows 7, no matter how much you play around with UAC and compatibility settings, which is why Microsoft made XP Mode available for free.  Among other things, Windows 7 dropped support for 16-bit programs and programs which include legacy 16-bit code.

While XP Mode will work if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, and does not require activating an XP license, VMware Workstation and VirtualBox do more and do it better.  They also free you from depending on Microsoft's future kindness.

Ath:
Windows 7 dropped support for 16-bit programs and programs which include legacy 16-bit code.-xtabber (November 12, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Minor correction: That is for x64 editions only, and it happened on Vista x64 (and probably on XP x64 before that) already.

tomos:
Interesting to see if you can downgrade if you want to. What happens if the BIOS is locked (as MS specifies to OEMs) without the ability to unlock it (which MS say is at the OEM's discretion)?-Carol Haynes (November 12, 2012, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
to be honest I havent even checked out if a downgrade is possible.
OTOH, if my older software doesnt install, I can return it.

I'm wondering will some european court or other clamp down on MS again.
In Germany it's legal to buy & sell on OEM's. The courts here might (hopefully) not approve if MS get too carried away.

dr_andus:
Adobe Acrobat 6 and Paint Shop Pro Versions X and earlier will not run properly, or at all, under Windows 7.

A lot of older software will not run under Windows 7, no matter how much you play around with UAC and compatibility settings, which is why Microsoft made XP Mode available for free.  Among other things, Windows 7 dropped support for 16-bit programs and programs which include legacy 16-bit code.

While XP Mode will work if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, and does not require activating an XP license, VMware Workstation and VirtualBox do more and do it better.  They also free you from depending on Microsoft's future kindness.

-xtabber (November 12, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I'm talking about. These are the hidden costs of a Windows upgrade, if you prefer your old products but you're forced to upgrade to newer versions of old software or look for alternatives.

I looked at the websites of Mware Workstation and VirtualBox. The former looks like an enterprise-type software, an overkill for a singe person, while the latter looked more like for everyday Joe (i.e. like me). Did I get that right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version